Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quality smoker

Default Re: Quality smoker

Quote Originally Posted by cinch123 View Post
    I have one from Mann Lake with the blue and yellow rubber bellows. I totally agree with you - it does not push enough air in. I have another smoker - a standard one from Dadant, and I'm much happier with it. I am considering taking the Mann Lake one apart and seeing if I can improve its performance; it would be a shame to spend $30 on a smoker that is hard to get going.
    Yeah same one. I'm wondering if the intake valve is the problem. I've replaced it and still no go. I'm thinking that the "normal" smokers don't have this valve and suck air back in during the release. I will try covering the valve with duct tape and see if it improves the action.

I got the smoker that came with the "starter package" from kelley's and bought my brother a larger one from them this year. Both are excellent, no problems at all.

No valves on the bellows, nothing to break. Had to make an inner pot for my brother's (punched some holes in a tin can) and it works great.

I've found the best smoker fuel is cotton cloth and some cardboard. Smolders away forever, lots of nice smoke, not very hot even at first since neither material burns with a significant flame in the smoker, and a charge will last at least half an hour.

Clean cotton or linen rags were what my Grandpa used, no reason to change. Burlap works well, too, and you can mix in some pine needles for a nicer smell (the bees seem to like it better too).

I would not buy plastic bellowed smokers, but that's a personal thing. No reason they won't work well if in good condition, but I suspect they will fail far sooner than wooden bellows, and you can easily staple some new oilcloth on the wooden one.

Peter

My smoker search update...the Mann Lake is BO, arrived home today and the Dadant was on the stoop.
    here is what i see so far...I know it's just a smoker and for what we really need it to do it will probably last a long long time...BUT
    I must say that the fit and finish is like that of american made autos in the 70's and 80's which is why the japanese bawled the american auto industry.
    Slapped together for mass production, quantity not quality...a shame really...so i'll wait for the Mann Lake maybe give Kellys a try...then i'll just take a day off and make one.
    Sorry to vent but i like stuff..i love good stuff...lol

Fit and finish? Really? It's gonna be burned black and covered with tar by next week. I want it to be easy to light, pump, and stay lit - and last a long time. I get it, but next year fit and finish won't even be a memory.

I hear ya Dave... i guess im like a new father..first kid drops a binky and you steralize it, second kid you run it under the faucet third kid you wipe it on your sleave...lol
    But i cant believe with all the technology available today that they cant make it better in half the time at a fraction of the cost...

Anyone have one of the electric smokers?

I have a large deluxe Dadant works fine.
    Dried Florida pine needles stink they work well but stink

Quote Originally Posted by rjmeyer View Post
    first kid drops a binky and you steralize it, second kid you run it under the faucet third kid you wipe it on your sleave...
    Or yell "Five Second Rule!"

Quote Originally Posted by rjmeyer View Post
    My smoker search update...the Mann Lake is BO, arrived home today and the Dadant was on the stoop...so i'll wait for the Mann Lake maybe give Kellys a try...l
    FYI, the Dadant and Kelly are the exact same smoker. Just a different brand on the outside. So if you're unhappy with the Dadant you shouldn't order the kelly.

FWIW, I love my Kelly/Dadant smoker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12