Default Queen being balled after I opened the hive

While I was checking frames, I saw a golf ball size of bees on one frame. I checked and there was the queen seemingly being attacked. I caught her in a cage. It took a while to get the workers in the cage to leave her alone and to get them out. I waited about 15 minutes and set the cage on the top bars and they seemed to act cordially toward her, so I let her out.

Have you ever had this happen before? What caused it and can it be prevented? Did I do the right thing by releasing her when I did?

Default Re: Queen being balled after I opened the hive

Is there another queen in that hive? Have you seen evidence of supersedure?
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I've seen this in packages and new queen introduction. Don't know why. If that is this case, I quit opening the hive on new queens for two weeks. Seems by then, they are laying and more "mature/recognized" as "the" queen. Just MO.

It was an established double deep that made 3 supers of honey. The flow ended 2 weeks ago. I only pulled out 3 frames looking for a frame of young larva to give a queenless hive.