Default How do you raise queens after your main flow?

I am interested in doing some backyard queen rearing, in July or August, after my main flow is over. What would you suggest that I do? I live in coastal South Carolina, in that part of the state, that time of the year, it is usually dry, highs in the low 90's, and lows in the low 70's.

Thanks Steve
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Default Re: How do you raise queens after your main flow?

Do your grafting and add a feeder. Need to get a little extra equipment.

I reared queens all season long last year, and after the spring flow ended It was a constant battle dealing with robbing, and hive beetles. If I do it again this year I will probably take mating nucs to another yard to mitigate robbing - and try to feed frames of honey instead of syrup. Making up strong nucs helps more than anything with hive beetles, and not letting them be queenless for too long. If they aren't queenright on schedule then waiting a few more days "just in case" often results in a hive beetle melt down. Have a plan and stick to it. There is no question that it's more challenging later.

For me I have less issues with hive beetles than I do with robbing. After the flow, in order to get good queens going you need to simulate a flow. Last year I had a BEASTLY issue with robbing. To the point that it eventually caused the demise of a number of nucs. The mating nucs just didn't have enough populations to defend their home.

Doing it again, I plan on using robber guards, having my mating nucs be full 5 frame hives (instead of the two and three frame dealies I was using), NOT using HBH, and using RJ for grafting. That's for after the flow only, obviously. I was considering feeding the strong colonies only, then giving the frames of "honey" to the nucs . . . but I'm not convinced that will end my robbing issues.

I avoid the robbing problem 2 ways...

1. My nucs have a 1" hole for entrance. Easier to defend.
    2. I feed nucs via a top feeder baggy. When I make nuc boxes, I will always make a handful of just the box, not top or bottom. I run these across a table saw, making 2" shims for feeder bags. I feed every other day. Have had no problems with robbing.

To answer the original question...You have to feed if you're making queens during a dearth. I do it all the time on late summer splits. The one thing that you may encounter is the small hive beetles. As was stated, make the splits STRONG and if a hive goes queenless after putting in the new queen, add a new queen FAST or combine these bees with another hive.

Do the feeder bags draw fewer robbers than a division board feeder?

I was planning on making a double division board feeder to split a 5-frame nuc in half to make two 2-frame mating nucs in one box. Our main flow won't be over when I graft but, it will be with later grafts and I'd rather have one system set from the beginning.

Tom

I use division board feeders or quart jars over a hole cut in each top (inside another box) on my "queen castles" and have horrible problems with robbing after the flow. I think that it might work if your mating nucs were fairly strong and had foragers (had been used for couple of rounds of mating) before the flow was over. It seems that older bees are the defenders. If I just set up a mating nuc and let foragers go home, other bees just walk in. No fighting but there is never anything for the mating nuc to use since it is always robbed. Open feeding might be another solution, but I don't like doing that much either.

What do you do with the queens you raise?

You can also feed the nucs capped honey that you take from the strong hives, and then feed them if they need it.

Does feeding capped honey instead of syrup end robbing?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

It's much less likely to start it to begin with.