Default New Queen Question

OK Friends.
    I have a week hive that has lost its queen. I suspect that she died within the first couple of weeks after I put them in there hive. I also made the mistake of trying to move the hive 8 ft which didn't help matters. I have been trying to let them rear a new queen on its own, but it has lost a lot of bees and I am not sure it is strong enough to do this anymore. A local friend beek is giving me a frame with two queen cells on it from one of her strong hives. This is my first year, and I am sorry to say I have not read up on the process of re-queening. So my question is what do i do? Just put that frame in the middle of the hive and let them do there thing or is there more of a process to this? Also I plan on feeding them for a while. Any advice would be well appreciated. Thanks
    Eric

Default Re: New Queen Question

Hi Eric,

Quote Originally Posted by oneraddude View Post
    I have a week hive that has lost its queen
    Sorry to hear that.

I suspect that she died within the first couple of weeks after I put them in there hive.
    How long has it been now? Things may go worse if you wait long in such cases. (Just naming "laying worker" situation.) Anyway...

I also made the mistake of trying to move the hive 8 ft which didn't help matters.
    You call it a mistake and it has nothing to do with the situation at hand now.

I have been trying to let them rear a new queen on its own, but it has lost a lot of bees and I am not sure it is strong enough to do this anymore.
    (A side note: Necessary condition for them to rear a new queen is having fertilized egg at hand. If they don't have it, even the most strong hive can not do this.) I'm assuming there are a basic amount of workers in the hive to rear the queen.

A local friend beek is giving me a frame with two queen cells on it from one of her strong hives.
    Nice of her. Such frieends are precious.

This is my first year, and I am sorry to say I have not read up on the process of re-queening.
    Do read. There are a lot of free/cheap/expensive, printed, electronic, online resources. You can search this forum and find many valuable info. You can even find some brief info on your question in a couple of hours. What I am going to answer is not sufficiant, it is just an answer to your emergency question.

So my question is what do i do? Just put that frame in the middle of the hive and let them do there thing or is there more of a process to this?
    Yes that's it. "Just put that frame in the middle of the hive." Not a must but it will be better if that frame has some nurse bees on it. Put the frame in a suitable box (cardboard etc.) during transportation. Be very quick.

Also I plan on feeding them for a while. Any advice would be well appreciated.
    Feeding them some under these conditions might be vise. Sources are out there in this season but taking into consideration that your worker number might be very low, a few frames with pollen would be nice as well. For feeding you may try one of many techniques, but if you ask me, a few honey frames would be the best.

Good luck. I hope everything will be OK soon.
    Last edited by marenostrum; 06-12-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: edited for BB Code piece

Thanks marenostrum.
    I will pull a few frames with pollen in them from my good hive. How many bees does it take to keep a hive alive? There could be as few a 50 left. I plan on doing this today. Thanks for the advice. Anything else you would do?

If you have another stronger hive, switch the positions of the two hives and give them the queen cells to finish. Swapping positions will strengthen the weak hive with the returning field bees from the stronger hive.

How many bees does it take to keep a hive alive? There could be as few a 50 left.
    First of all, Ross' advice is an option for sure, but this is some other decision to make and while that way while the hive in question will get stronger in terms of foragers, the other hive will get weaker to some degree. It is a preference.

In my opinion even a hive with 50 workers is still OK to start a new queen supported with resource (pollen+honey) frames and/or feeding. It will be very very good if that egg/very young larvae bearing frame has young bees on it. Reducing the enterence might be usefull to prevent robbing. ıf there are additional boxes, a rearrangement and shrinking down the total volume of the hive might be useful. In fact, its as if you are starting a new small nuc. I'm not discussing why to do this etc. This is a challenge as well and a nice opportunity to learn, to gain experience more.

I'm curious. Please keep us updated. I hope everything will go well.

50 bees? 49 of them could be laying workers. I wouldn't waste a queen cell on 50 bees I would set them free and split the "good" hive using the queen cell on the frame your friend is giving you. Make another nuc.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping