Thread: Robber Bee?

Default Robber Bee?

I was chilling with my bees today, and noticed this odd-ball bee dive-boming the hive, I think it was the only one. I have a relatively new hive, installed on May 5, it's very active and seems to be quite healthy, but I am still feeding a lot of 1:1 ratio syrup (about a jar a day), so I'm not sure if there is a robber bee issue or not. The little bee up top on the right is from my hive, this is one that stung me and I keep her on my desk (is that just weird?) the other large one is the odd ball bee... can someone advise? and if it IS a robber, should I be worried, since it may turn out to be an all you can eat buffet? I'm just so new I'm not sure. Thanks for the help in advance!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Default Re: Robber Bee?

If one bee can get in to rob your hive you have much bigger issues. Put on an entrance reducer or robber screen and chill by the hive again.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Default Re: Robber Bee?

Thank you! I actually think that being SO green that was a drone! I looked at a lot of pictures, and given that my hive is now thriving like crazy I think that was the case. I have some other questions, and just posted a long post with some questions thanks!