Default Splits and transfers

Hi,

First of all, I'd like you all to see a picture of my new 5' TBH. It's based on the Golden Mean hive from backyardhive.com but about twice as big, with entrances on both ends. I also put together a hive stand (I've been using logs, probably not a good idea).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2304757...7630044472851/

Anyway, I have two standard size Golden Mean TBHs (approx. 27" long). They are decidedly too small. I tried to split out a nuc from them, but they filled in the comb just a few days later. Now I'm seeing queen cups. They've filled them to the point where is actually difficult to do a proper inspection. My plan is to move one of the hives into this larger TBH and then split the other hive between the two standard golden means. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

I put the new hive and hive stand right next to the existing hives:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2304757...7630044486379/

My hope is that I can move the bars from from the old hive to the new hive with little disruption, as it's only about a foot to the left. Will this work? I've heard "3 feet or 3 miles", and this is definitely less than 3 feet.

If I do end up splitting the remaining hive, should I let them raise their own queen or should I buy a new one (at this point in the season).

Mind you both these hives are first-year from packages in early April.

Thanks for any help,

--jon

Default Re: Splits and transfers

Well I went ahead with the transfer today. Everything went pretty well. I ended up dumping the last few stragglers out in the lawn as I wanted to take the tbh back with me. I noticed they weren't flying back to the original, but instead were just bunching up in the grass, so I tried to scoop them up, with a little plastic sandbox shovel. Only sting I got the whole day!

In moving the bars over to the new hive, I noticed quite a few uncapped queen cells. I may end up pulling some of these when I split the other hive.

Default Re: Splits and transfers

Quote Originally Posted by jonlorusso View Post
    Well I went ahead with the transfer today. Everything went pretty well. I ended up dumping the last few stragglers out in the lawn as I wanted to take the tbh back with me. I noticed they weren't flying back to the original, but instead were just bunching up in the grass, so I tried to scoop them up, with a little plastic sandbox shovel. Only sting I got the whole day!

In moving the bars over to the new hive, I noticed quite a few uncapped queen cells. I may end up pulling some of these when I split the other hive.
    FIRST i like the top bar you did , second i think you be ok with the transfer, just dont disturb them for a week and you be ok, good luck