Default Questions regarding steps and timing after Checkerboarding

Hello

I live in Iceland so the don't be alarmed by the late timing of my checkerboarding!

Some data:
    I checkerboarded in mid May my two hives which overwintered on two broodboxes and single feedboxes. I only checkerboarded the feed boxes.

My questions:
    When should one place a new super on top? Is it immediately after checkerboarding or should one wait for eggs and honey (as I am witnessing now in the top box)?

Do you manipulate the old sugar feed frames later or leave them? I marked them to avoid contamination.

Best regards,
    Thule

Default Re: Questions regarding steps and timing after Checkerboarding

Thule, really? I'm impressed. You've cornered the market on optimism.
    The second part of checkerboarding is to not let the colony fill the igloo to the top. Yes, you can add empty comb at the top at the same time as CBing - Foundation doesn't help much. If you don't have drawn comb available, check the bottom box. It could be essentially empty, and could be raised to the top.

You need not fret about last season's sugar water. If you get normal brood nest expansion, center frames will be consumed to make room for brood. Outside frames will be recycled with this year's new honey. Have to admit that we don't know how that plays out in your location, but you can monitor through the developements.

And welcome aboard,
    Walt

Default Re: Questions regarding steps and timing after Checkerboarding

Walt, thank you for the reply!

It is perhaps no coincidence but you were spot on with your'e assessment on the bottom box, empty apart from a few capped drone cells, as well as sugar reserves which have been consumed and are now beautiful brood frames!

Great fan of your articles!

As for beekeeping in Iceland it is not as crazy as it may sound. We have a pretty mild climate thanks mainly to the Gulf Stream without which 64°North would not be as pleasant! Here is a temperature map where the effects are clear. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rature_Map.jpg

The winters do get a bit windy but temperature along the coasts almost never dips below -15°C (5°F). Summers are pretty dry and lowland temperatures can reach 25°C (77°F) in July and early August with the coasts a little cooler.

All of the honey bees in Iceland are imported Buckfasts from Aaland Islands which are Varroa free. The Icelandic Beekeeping Society has imported a batch for newcomers and members for the last few years and hopefully in years to come we will be completely self sufficient breeders. I will certainly be using Checkerboarding in order to get strong splits early in the season!

Best regards,
    Hersteinn