Default Queen cups? Input wanted.

Ten days ago I checked this hive, found the queen and all seemed well. Today, I did not find the queen. There are cells with larvae and lots of capped brood. There are no swarm cells, but along the bottom of a couple frames I found open cups. Are these for queens? If not what are they used for?

The hive is from a nuc installed on May 19. A very full nuc. Ten days ago I added a second super and they are working on it but have a ways to go before it is filled out. Good start on four frames though. Feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: Queen cups? Input wanted.

Bees pretty much always keep a few queen cups around just in case. If you have trouble finding the queen, look for eggs or very young larva. It's also a good indication of a laying queen if pollen is coming in.

Thank you Ross. I looked for eggs but there is so much capped brood there really isnt a lot of space. Thats why I added to second super a while back. Plenty of pollen coming in and I appreciate that feedback because I was unaware that is a good sign for a laying queen. Sounds like the hive is alright and I dont have a lot to worry about. On another note, this hive and another are "survivor" stock bees. They seem to have a tougher time taking to foundation than the package bees of Carnies I got. Just an interesting observation.

Try foundationless frames. Lot's of threads on it here. That's all I use.

I have them and they are going into the second super. Not having any experience with them I thought I would use small cell foundation in the brood chamber and then switch to the foundationless above. So I agree and I'm anxious to get the bees on them. They just need a little more time to expand the hive.