Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Two hives one queen?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Scott_F 
#1 ·
I started two TBH hives this spring. One hive is over half full of comb and has consistently had more bees coming and going. The second hive is about a third full of comb and the combs are not as large as the first.

At first I thought maybe the queen was gone in the second hive and so I ordered a new one that just arrived. Before I added the queen and to be very sure I just inspected all the combs in the second hive and they all look like they are filled with honey. From about 1/2 to 3/4 full. I don't see any eggs or brood. There seems to be a fair number of bees though. A lot more than I would think with no brood.

Is it possible it has no queen and has been 'taken over' by the first hive for honey combs only?

The hives are in close proximity. Their entrances are about 4 feet apart.

If this is the case, should I add a new queen to the second hive?

I am perplexed, yet fascinated by this situation. At this point I could use some sound advice.

Thanks,
Scott

See less See more
#4 ·
Most of what Scuba says I agree w/, but adding a queen will prove unsatisfactory. The colony will likely not accept her even though they don't have one. Best of luck, but it will probably be money wasted.

I don't know how you would go about combining two TBHs, but were they Langstroth Hives, that is what I would recommend. But it isn't the case, so others will have to advise you there.

#5 ·
Most of what Scuba says I agree w/, but adding a queen will prove unsatisfactory. The colony will likely not accept her even though they don't have one. Best of luck, but it will probably be money wasted.
Why do you say they won't accept her? I would not release her immediately. I can see that the bees are possibly a little independent having been without a queen for while, but what group of bees doesn't want a queen?

#6 ·
I don't think the attempt is futile. If you are not seeing drone brood yet, then they do not yet have a laying worker. So that is good. If you are introducing her via a standard queen cage with the candy plug, it should be pretty standard with about average chance of success. If it doesn't work, then try combining them. Cut a cardboard divider the shape of your follower board or the shape of your hive if you don't have follower boards. (make sure it is tall enough to stand up above the topbars you slip it between) Cut out about a 5 or 6 inch hole in the center of that and tape 1 layer of newspaper over the hole and cut a few slits into it. Slip your newpaper divider between the topbars a few bars back from your last comb or just in front of your follower board. Move the queenless colony into the queen right hive behind the divider you made. I am personally betting that your new queen will take so that you don't have to bother with all that. Let us know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.