Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Migratory covers leaking, new simple cover design ideas wanted.

11K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  mgolden 
#1 ·
So far this year it has been raining almost everyday and my new (this year) migratory covers are leaking.

Not a lot, but enough that I am getting mildew on the inside surface and on some of the frames and every time I open the cover to check the bees I see water droplets hanging from the wood. These covers where painted with four coats of oil based finish and held up for the first several weeks but have now opened up and are no longer water tight.

Yes, I know about telescopic covers and their are million other ways to stop water if that was all I wanted but I think they are pretty hideous aesthetic wise and since my hives are right next to my tower house and part of the over all look of my property I want something that fits in with the medieval/industrial style that everything else on my property has.

I also don't want something as huge and heavy looking as some of the bee roofs I've seen. I really liked the clean, simple look of a wooden migratory cover but since that has failed to do its primary job and looking for something to take its place.

I have a few ideas of my own but I thought I would ask you guys and see if anyone has come up with a simple, effective cover that doesn't look like the top off a chest freezer and would look okay on a bare wood langstroth.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had the same problem with my cypress migratory top and set it aside for a couple years. This year I needed extra tops & bottoms with the intention of splitting into single deeps and combining back to the number of hives I wanted and resurrected the migratory top. I trimmed the end board so the top is flat and covered with 20" aluminum flashing using a rubber mallet to bend down the sides, a utility knife to trim and a staple gun to secure. Took longer than I wanted to spend, I made another with the same aluminum roll and scrap plywood, but made that one to overhang. IMHO, nothing beats a sheet of metal, aluminum or galvanized.

#3 ·
All of my migratory tops leak and the bees don't seem to care at all. It sounds like you need more ventilation at the top. Are you on solid bottoms? Can the moisture drain through and out, or is it puddling in the bottom and creating condensation under the tops? You have a far different climate and different problems to solve in Montana, but you might need to think about the problem differently.

#4 ·
Sheet metal is the only way to go. You can paint it to more or less match the wood or buy vinyl coated aluminum flashing.

Any wooden migratory cover is going to warp without the metal, and probably will even with but not so bad. Ship-lap boards will be the worst, plywood the best.

Peter

#5 ·
Since you aren't planning on migrating your bees why don't you just make them so they have an inch overhang on the sides with a drip edge under each edge to prevent the water from migrating??

I believe the only reason they are typically the exact width of the box is to jam em together on pallets.

#8 ·
I've never heard of Advantec before...sounds interesting.

What I ended up doing was buying a 24" wide "W" galvanized sheet metal flashing strip and cutting it up into roof sections that screw on top of the migratory covers and spray painting them a nice rust red. Since there is now a 2" air gap between the metal and the wood I had the idea to ventilate my covers while I was at it. I bought some 2" round aluminum soffit vent plugs with louvres too small to let bees through and installed one in the middle of each cover under the metal roof so in theory my cover is now protected from rain and condensation.

#16 ·
throrope.... Advantec is guaranteed for 50 years against warpage or seperation. Of course it hasn't been around for 50 years so no one knows for sure. I have been using it for about 4 years and no problems. As you can see on this photo of Advantec with hole for hive top feeders, they have not been painted and they work fine. I do paint most of them just to make them match the hives.

I use the Advantec through the Summer without a telescoping cover. Advantage is you can feed any time through the top. When not needed for feeding, simply place a jar top with no holes in the hole drilled in the Advantec. If we get a severe Winter I can place a telescoping cover over the Advantec. In Spring, just remove the solid jar cap and invert a jar feeder and you don't have to open the hive the feed.

Table Grass Pasture Furniture Grassland

Advantec is the only way to go.

cchoganjr

#18 ·
They are made from 2 inch steel well pipe. I bought out Reverand Pace's Bee Operation back about 1998 and he had 75 hives and about 25 of those stands. His sons were in the oil well drilling business and when their welders were not busy they would build him stands for his bees. I doubt that I could afford them at today's prices for pipe. I have about 40 hives on them. Wish I had 25 more of these stands.

cchoganjr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.