Default I just picked up a bee tree from a tree cutter

P1010001.jpgP1010003.jpgP1010005.jpgP1010002.jpgP1010005.jpgI got a call last night from a guy and he ask if I would get bees out of a tree. I started explaining how hard it is to trap them out and unless he wanted to cut the tree down I probably wasnt interested.He tells me that he does tree work and he was going to cut the tree down and didnt want to kill the bees. So I dropped by and screened it up and he went over today and cut the tree.He lifted this section with his crane and set it on his truck.I stopped by a few hours later and he set it on my trailer. I took it home and trimmed a couple of feet off the top and bottom and lifted it onto this pallet with my tractor. Hopefully I can get them into a hive in the next week or so.If I wasnt old and I could remember my photobucket password I would post a couple of pictures....maybe after I have my nap.

Default Re: I just picked up a bee tree from a tree cutter

That looks awesome on that stand. I'm impressed with the scale of what you accomplished. I'm trying to think of a way to connect it to a hive with hollow wooden tube so the bees can still use the tree and a hive or something like that. I hope those bees do well for you!

Good luck on your project hemichuck, you never get to old it just takes longer, keep us posted.....
    Matt....

That is fantastic. Life is so much easier with the right equipment! Wish I had a crane!
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Yeah, that guys crane would pick up a 40 oak log 4 ft in diameter. I have a Bobcat with a grapple bucket so I can pick up a log about 8 ft by 3 ft diameter. I had to use my tractor bucket to set that log up.I am going to cut off the top where I have it capped with lanscape cloth and set a hive body on top and try to entice them to move up into it.If they dont move up I will have to split the log and stick the brood in frames.

virginiawolf...hemichuck... send me an e-mail cchoganjr@scrtc.com and I will send you the plans, with photos, to show how to trap the bees out of the tree. You can leave them in the log and take 3 or 4 starts each year from the log, or you can trap all of them out, and then dispose of the log.

I like to leave them in the log and get 3 or 4 , 3-5 lb starts each year from the log. Kinda like a cash cow.

cchoganjr

I would leave them in the log, yard art of the highest order.

Cleo, I have a couple of your traps already and have used them quite a bit. I actually talked with you at Kelleys field days a couple of years ago. I still have your phone number on my cell phone. I'm going after another tree in the morning. I'll post pictures when it gets home.

That so rocks! Who said ya cant move a bee tree. Keep us posted on what you decide to do with it Chuck.

Cleo, I would like to get your plans, I have had two request for trap outs this spring, one in a tree and I really like the idea of keeping it as a renewable resource. I will send you an email.

Nice work Chuck,
    Jeff - like me on facebook
    See my bees @ www.ozarkshoney.com