Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: % of honey for local

Was not looking to start anything today but I guess at times it does not take much. Industry Standard was not what I was looking for as it pertains to is it governmently legal or not. Once again sqkcrk you kind of hit it because I do not know what I would call it just what I know someone is doing is calling it thus that is why I asked the question. I understand the statment of local is local because it is local to somewhere some say local is 25 miles others say 125 miles so the term local is also defined by the person using it. In the 20's next door was within your grasp and not much more today the world is within your grasp.

Oh, yeah, that sort of thing. Yes, I do get tired of that sometimes. But I worked at Colonial Williamsburg answering the same question over and over all day for a long time. Some times you gotta change the answer to keep it fresh. "I'm not sure. What do you believe?". Which is different from "What do you THINK?", right? Most people believe things which aren't necassarily true or quantifiably provable.

Someone could slap a "Local" label on a jar of honey and people will make all sorts of assumptions not necassarily true at all. The buyer be ware.

rtoney,
    I had a potential customer who decline the sale when she found that the closest yd to her was 25 miles away. How close does it have be produced to where someone lives to qualify as local. It's a sham. When I asked her what her allergys were, since that is why she wanted local honey, turns out she had none. What'sa guy to do?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Ya I read that post on an earlier "what's local" post I just tell people that "local honey" is a folklore started by a couple of beekeepers. I do think that raw honey helps with allergies but I believe it is because it builds the immune system not because it is local. (and I'm not looking to start another fight with this statement) you all believe what you believe and I will believe what I believe.
    Anyway for those that were not fighting or getting overly upset Thanks for the help.

Oh yes I still don't know what to call it.

I didn't mean to be contentious, my blood sugar gets low in the afternoon and I get cranky. I guess my point was that I don't think it's unethical to not give them more information than they want. I'd call the mix "Raw Wildflower Honey"
    Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company. -Mark Twain

I would call it whatever it happens TO BE. Local honey. County honey. Baytown honey. East Texas honey. Mixed local honey.

Try this from Wikipedia;

Definitions of "local"

A cheesemaking workshop with goats at Maker Faire 2011. The sign declares, "Eat your Zipcode!"
    There is no single definition of "'local' or 'local food systems' in terms of the geographic distance between production and consumption. But defining 'local' based on marketing arrangements, such as farmers selling directly to consumers at regional farmers’ markets or to schools, is well recognized.[5] There are "a number of different definitions for local [that] have been used or recorded by researchers assessing local food systems [and] most [are] informed by political or geographic boundaries. Among the more widely circulated and popular defining parameters is the concept of food miles, which has been suggested for policy recommendations."[6] In 2008 Congress passed H.R.2419, which amended the "Consolidated Farm and Rural Development Act". In the amendment "locally" and "regionally" are grouped together and are defined as
    ‘‘(I) the locality or region in which the final product is marketed, so that the total distance that the product is transported is less than 400 miles from the origin of the product; or ‘‘(II) the State in which the product is produced.
    —Bill Text - 110th Congress (2007-2008) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)
    In May 2010 the USDA acknowledged this definition in an informational leaflet.[7]
    The concept of "local" is also seen in terms of ecology, where food production is considered from the perspective of a basic ecological unit defined by its climate, soil, watershed, species and local agrisystems, a unit also called an ecoregion or a foodshed. The concept of the foodshed is similar to that of a watershed; it is an area where food is grown and eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by rtoney View Post
    Oh yes I still don't know what to call it.
    Call it your honey, by your name or your company name. Folks you sell to know you live nearby, so it has to be LOCAL, right? I don't use the word LOCAL on my label, but "Natural North Country" tells them what they need to know.

Some of the honey in the jar is yours and that which you bought is now yours too.

Sorry if I came off upset, I guess I was somewhat. I shouldn't Post while sleep deprived. Forgive me?

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Forgive me?
    If I were to nominate an Ambassador Of Beekeeping, it'd be you.

What percentage does one need to be Amish honey?

Quote Originally Posted by cg3 View Post
    According to Elizabeth Warren about 1/132nd.

Ambassador Berninghausen? Sorta has a nice ring to it. lol

Amish honey? Now you are just being silly.
    I'll do ya one better, Shaker Honey. Produced the simplest way by the simple people. I mean, simplest people.

I dreampt up a label one time, "The Lazy Beekeeper's Honey", illustrated w/ a beekeeper laying on the ground up next to his hive asleep w/ his long beard hanging out from under his veil w/ zzzzs above his head, snoring away and his wife beekeeper on the othyer side of the same panel w/ veil, hive tool, and smoker.

If anyone wants to draw that up and submit it, the chosen one will get credit. Thanks. Whatever that has to do w/ "% local" I don't know.

Amish honey? Now you are just being silly.
    Amish Honey Products
    Fields of buckwheat blossoms fill the St. Lawrence Valley where honey bees are busy at work producing this natural essence to Squeak Creek Apiaries flavorful honeys.*

I'm new to this, but I can tell I wouldn't mix a drop with any honey I harvest myself. I don't want to sell to people one time, I want to sell to them EVERY time they want good, real honey. But thats just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunham Bee Farm View Post
    I don't want to sell to people one time, I want to sell to them EVERY time they want good, real honey.
    I think his point was that he had access to other folks good, real honey. I kind of wish that I had someone to market for me. With a couple of hives, I had no problem selling out at a high price. As I increase, I'm going to have to charge less for larger quantity containers or incur the overhead of logos, quality labels, time spent selling, etc. There's a niche market for raw, local, monohive honey, but what if you end up with hundreds of pounds or more? You have to market more aggressively or sell in larger quantities.
    My next market is 5gal at a time to restaurants and breweries who still place value on "local".

Cool Re: % of honey for local

As the largest Ohio honey producer, I'll tell you what I tell all my customers. You bought it, its your honey. You call it whatever you want. I see a lot of my local honey selling in other states, I mean your local honey. Really what is local.

I label mine with a little sticker on the lid indicating town it came from.

No they don't. Where did you find that written?

Amish Honey Products
    Fields of buckwheat blossoms fill the St. Lawrence Valley where honey bees are busy at work producing this natural essence to Squeak Creek Apiaries flavorful honeys.*
    Unless anyone gets the wrong idea, the above was not posted by sqkcrk but a reseller of his product. Further, they identify him as one of their non-Amish friends. I just thought it was funny in the context of this marketing discussion.

"Amish" seems to have become a marketing term similar to "local". I'm not saying that there are not authentic Amish goods and services but there seems to be more and more "Amish Furniture Outlets" and the like. In construction, we're seeing a lot of "Amish" carpentry crews, trading on the good reputations of craftsmen past. Occasionally you'll see a bunch that shows up in buggies and speaks Deutsch but by and large the crews I see use power tools, drive new trucks and speak 'Merican. I know that there are various shades of Amish, but I believe this is mostly marketing.

If the above mentioned store in Heuvelton, NY is passing my honey off as Amish in order to sell it at a premium, then I think I'd better get a better price for it. Then again, I don't wish to be complicit in a lie. Them listing my honey under Amish Food Products is misleading. I also doubt that some of the other Amish Food Products are Amish made either.

Somebody's due for a talkin' to. But not cg3.

I don't have a problem with it, don't do it myself but I have a niche market, running out keeps them interested...the rarer the better with my customers and only having a certain amount available each year = rare.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

passing my honey off as Amish in order to sell it at a premium.
    The price, I thought, was reasonable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast