Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default % of honey for local

I know some that mix thier honey with purchased to call it local honey. What % of your honey do you think should be mixed to call it yours and what is the distance you would call local?

Default Re: % of honey for local

I label my honey as "Pure Raw Oktebbeha County Honey". That way u know what county the bees made it in. Just a thought

Let's ruin any trust we have with the public! If people want crap honey they can get it at walmart.

The failure to act with principles is the great american downfall. Up until the 1950's leadership was about how principled a person you were now it's reduced to "Fake it till you make it." In all things we should be accountable you might get away with mixing your honey but if I found out you did it as a coustomer I wouldn't buy another drop. further more I would tell all my friends and family and random people on the street. Decide if you are a quality producer or a cheat.

I don't understand why anyone would do this, what is accomplished?
    would you label it mixed with store bought honey? kinda defeats the purpose of raising your own bee's for honey IMO

I agree, if it's not 100% you might as well just add Corn Syrup and the other crap that the store bought has. If you mix the store crap you are just cheating people that pay for the real stuff.
    Disclaimer: I know enough to know I don't know anything yet.

I might be missing something, but the OP stated to mix honey with purchased honey...not specifically with store-bought honey. Packers by definition mix "purchased" honey.

rtoney - could you be more specific about what kind of mixing you're referring to? Are you talking about store-bought honey or honey from other beeks who don't want to market their own product?

Indeed, Silverback asks the key question.

If you're looking to dilute your good local stash with the garbage from Walmart (no offense to Walmart, or the packers that supply them), then the acceptable percentage is ZERO! That would be blatantly dishonest to market US honey as local honey because some of yours is in it.

If you're mixing with your neighbors' stash so they don't have to do the legwork, then just make sure have a handle on where theirs comes from. If it's from your local area, I wouldn't even bother mentioning that it was mixed. If it's beyond 10 miles or so, some reference to origin should be stated. People hold "local" honey in high esteem. Let's not abuse that trust.
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    I agree, if it's not 100% you might as well just add Corn Syrup and the other crap that the store bought has. If you mix the store crap you are just cheating people that pay for the real stuff.
    If you believe that there is corn syrup in grocery store shelf honey, take it to court or change your brain. Prove it.

I have been selling honey by direct store delivery for 20 years. The customer demand outpaces production every year, so I buy honey. I buy honey from friends who produce that honey near me, or in the State. I know them and know how they manage their bees, because I work their bees with them. I buy it from folks I know nand trust and label it under the Squeak Creek Apiaries Label. "Natural North Country Honey from Squeak Creek Apiaries".

The honey is in buckets. I don't make a habit of mixing two buckets of mine w/ two buckets of boughten honey. Too much work to keep track. No one can tell which honey is which, not even me. I don't consider this underhanded or unethical. If someone of y'all do, good for you. You have that luxury. I am making a living from honey sales, such as it is.

So, if anyone wants to judge me or look down their nose at me and my ways, I could care less. Unless you do what I do, don't judge me.

This "Local Honey", "Totally My Honey" can go too far. And limit what an individual can do.

Does anyone critisizer Pepsi for not using only their own produced ingredients? How many of you walk away from a car or truck you really like and want to buy when you find out it isn't totally made by Ford, only made for Ford?

Now, I will agree that one shouldn't buy honey from somewhere definitely not what you consider local, say a NY honey packer bottling honey from California and calling it LOCAL. I label my Varietal Honeys as "Made for you by friends of Squeak Creek Apiaries". I believe that reveals the source as from someone else well enough for those who read labels.
    Last edited by sqkcrk; 06-08-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I was of the impression that adulterated honey had indeed found it's way onto US grocery shelves.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

Some may have. So, we should paint the whole shelf w/ the same wide brush? If enough people are suspicious, then assurances will be made. But, in the mean time the consumers mind ius negatively effected by all the negative publiciuty. And once that trust is eroded, getting it back is near impossible.

So, if one beekeeper/honey packer wants to make a statement, they'd better be able to back up their claim. imo

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    So, we should paint the whole shelf w/ the same wide brush?
    No, but I'm not above taking advantage of the consumers confused notions about honey. Local honey sells at a premium.
    -I'm not advocating making any false statements
    Last edited by cg3; 06-08-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: disclaimer

So you believe that those who sell should "tak[e] advantage of the consumers confused notions"? Interesting.

Let me try and slow this down a little.
    Maybe my fault for the way it was posted but:
    I meant mixing raw honey with raw honey not store bought.
    If you are in Missouri and buy raw honey from Iowa or Nebraska or etc and mix it with your honey it is still raw honey but at what % would you call it your honey or local honey.
    I am not saying anyone is trying to decieve the customer by mixing raw honey with something that is not raw honey.
    Hope this helps to clear this up a bit and back to the first post.

BTW I also agree with sqkcrk that local and my honey can go to far also. If I buy raw honey then it is my raw honey when someone asks Raw Clover is raw Clover honey as long as it is Raw Clover honey.

I have seldom produced as much honey as I can sell. I wish I could.
    Markets are hard to find, you can't say, "Sorry, I ran out," you would lose them as a customer.

To keep my markets supplied, I buy honey from other local beekeepers and sell it under my label.
    Ask around, it is pretty common to do this and I don't see any problems doing it.
    I also don't mix a percent of theirs to mine, it is all still local honey.
    The commercial beekeeper gets more $ from me than from the packers, I get to keep my markets supplied which keeps the markets customers supplied. We are all happy.

I heard from a big beekeeper that you can either keep bees or sell honey. If you are selling honey, you are neglecting yours bees, if you are beekeeping, you are neglecting your customers.

Quote Originally Posted by rtoney View Post
    If you are in Missouri and buy raw honey from Iowa or Nebraska or etc and mix it with your honey it is still raw honey but at what % would you call it your honey or local honey.
    Isn't it more important for you to tell us what you would do or call it? If you want an Industry Standard to follow, maybe you would like to look to McDonald's. Their "All Beef Patties" can be by definition 51% beef and be called "All Beef". Isn't all of your honey "local"? Once mixed w/ someone elses "local" honey, isn't it all still local?

those who sell should "tak[e] advantage of the consumers confused notions"?
    Don't you get tired of earnestly answering a question based on media reports or preconceived ideas and watching their eyes glaze over?
    I meant mixing raw honey with raw honey not store bought.
    That's what I thought you meant. Any mix of those 2 is still raw honey, just not "local".
    local and my honey can go to far also.
    Not quite sure how local is "local", but it's a really big deal to some buyers. I've seen people base their choice on the closest to their home- a difference of a few miles.

Quote Originally Posted by cg3 View Post
    Don't you get tired of earnestly answering a question based on media reports or preconceived ideas and watching their eyes glaze over?
    No, do you? I answer every question as if it were seriously/earnestly asked, unless I can tell someone is being fecitious.

No, do you?
    I admit, I do. For instance when asked the honey/allergies question, I might say "I don't know. Some say it helps." rather than "Studies have not shown that."