Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Moving down into the next box

I made a split in to a warre on June 15th. They filled the top box nicely, but haven't moved into the second box yet. I am guessing that they might have swarmed, so I am hoping that they will start building when the fall flow gets going. I am going to try to inspect as best I can today to see if they have a queen that is laying. I just hope they can store enough to make it through the winter.

CKOHL, That's encouraging. Thanks.

BernhardHeuvel,

Thanks for the tip on dismantling and turning the boxes over or on their side - that helps a lot. And for the picture - wow!

DW

Quote Originally Posted by JasonERD View Post
    I made a split in to a warre on June 15th. They filled the top box nicely, but haven't moved into the second box yet. I am guessing that they might have swarmed, so I am hoping that they will start building when the fall flow gets going. I am going to try to inspect as best I can today to see if they have a queen that is laying. I just hope they can store enough to make it through the winter.
    I looks like my hive swarmed, probably when I was on vacation... no wonder they aren't moving down right now.. They have barely enough bees to cover the comb they have.

They are capping the last of the worker brood now, so I think it will be a few weeks before they have a laying queen again. hopefully then they will build at least the second box for the winter.

sorry to hear that.

Is anything wrong with getting the bees to build upward in a Warre?
    I have had great success in getting the bees to move upward using these 'ladders.'
    http://solarbeez.com/2014/04/23/movi...my-warre-hive/
    My question is...is this the right thing to do? I think Bernhard said to nadir the first year, super the second year. This hive came from a swarm from my log hive on April 17, 2013. I used two boxes to over winter. I didn't take any honey from it, but I 'caved in' and fed a dry sugar mixture two times starting late October.

Last year my first Warre hive became honeybound... http://solarbeez.com/2013/06/19/honey-bound/ under similar circumstances. I had added ladders, they built up fast, then stopped. Maybe it wasn't a honey bound problem, but a problem with the queen after they swarmed May 12, 2013. Maybe the new queen was weak. In any case the hive got robbed out in late July because of a lack of bees to defend it.
    Am I headed to that result now by supering? The main nectar flow will be blackberries blossoms, starting sometime in May or so. I have to admit that supering is what I'd rather do because the comb is so white and they fill it with honey, but I don't want to do it at the expense of the bees.

I go both ways depending one what I think they could use more. Sometimes I've probably been wrong, but I don't think there is much risk if you have a strong colony that seems reluctant to move down. The yahoo warré group is full of people talking about having difficulty getting them to move down.

From a warré purist point of view, putting an empty box on top disturbs the natural make up of the hive, but the way I see it there are circumstances where it's better to put a box on top.

In my other Warre, I just put a swarm into a three box hive about 10 days ago. Originally it was supposed to be two boxes, but when I was dumping the swarm into the top of the two boxes, I used an empty Warre box to keep the bees from spilling over the side. I decided just to add bars to that box, so now they are building from box #3 downward. Incidentally, I provided ladders for all three boxes. The bees are producing gobs of comb in the top box and they have already started building downward into the middle box. I guess it works both ways.

Swarms can build like crazy. If you keep your combs movable, you can always just move a comb or two up or down to inspire them the move. If you have enough bees to keep the brood warm, and a nectar flow to support comb building, nothing will get them to move faster than a comb full of brood in a new box.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234