Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Cleo Hogan trapout from a tree

Wanted to post an update. The colony has been removed sucessfully from the tree. I could have taken the trap off two weeks ago but I was going on vacation for a week and wanted the bees in the box to provide some protection against wax moths, etc. I took the trap off Monday and moved the remaining bees to the beeyard and shook them out on the ground away from the hives. They had developed a laying worker so I figured they'd divide themselves between the queenright hives. I moved one of the hives that I took from the tree back to rob out any remaining stores from the tree. I've never seen so much activity! I think I need to super the hive because it's gaining weight pretty rapidly and I have no idea how much honey is in the tree. I'll be sending the bill later this week for 5 hours time, mileage, and $60 in materials.

Years ago I remember reading that when the one day egg is available the bees can feed the larva what is called Royal Jelly and that is what changes the egg into developing into a queen rather than just another female worker. As the queen is larger they also have to reconstruct the comb cell. You could look at the frame and see if a larger cell or cells are present. If more than one queen being raised I have read that the first out will soon kill the others.

Most interesting, especially appreciated the photos. Thanks everyone for sharing these interesting bits of information.

Darn clever implementation! Thanks for sharing!

Cleo thank you for forwarding the files to my PM. It helped a lot for the detailed implementation. Going to have to look into making a setup!
    Mike
    N5RWH - 7a

Great job...I just talked to Cleo. Nice guy!~ On your inside box. You put your screen cone going up. Is that the best way or does it matter? Cant wait to build mine and try it. great post! thanks!--stan

Stan The Bee Man
    If you are using a screen cone it does not matter which way the exit is pointed. If you use the conical bee escape, it needs to be mounted on the bottom of the tunnel and point down, so bees cannot land on it, and then walk back into the tunnel and back to the original colony. Conical bee escapes are made of plastic and are slick.

My material shows the conical bee escape, but, I actually prefer to use the screen cone.

cchoganjr

Question on your cone inside the brood box. I know Cleo photos has the plastic red conical bee escape but in talking with him he does prefer the witches hat cone like you have in insert box. The question is should it be pointed down on bottom? this would avoid them from landing on it pointed up...and just walking up and crawling in small par of cone right?? I don't know, just asking? thanks!

Thanks - I ordered some of the brushy mt pre-made screen cones but sounds like I need to make a bigger one. And I would still mount it on bottom point it down on small insert box inside brood box - right?

In looking at your photos...do you have one box fixed to the tree which makes a FEMALE and then another small box that fits into entrance and into nuc? Or is it just one piece that fits into nuc? I think Cleo plan has 1 female box that fits to tree then another small box that fits into female at tree and into nuc....so 3 total boxes. .right? --thanks

Worked on the Cleo trapout box. Cant wait to try it. I even put a side viewing glass on side of the deep. I also was able to find the small screen cones to fit on second box that slides into deep from tree box. My main question is after I leave entry box to tree for day or two then attach second box that fits into custom deep. I put a frame of eggs, I then let the bees come and go through normal front entrance of deep. I am a bit confused as I want to catch the queen. I know that when I am ready to trap I will seal the door to inner box and then bees will go through small screen cone pointed down. So I close front entrance of deep and wait a day or two? How will I know that the queen is in there. I know she will not come through cone so i guess she has to be in there before I close end of inner trap door. Am I supposed to check to make sure she is in there before closing inner door? thanks!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12