Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Cleo Hogan trapout from a tree

Wanted to post an update. The colony has been removed sucessfully from the tree. I could have taken the trap off two weeks ago but I was going on vacation for a week and wanted the bees in the box to provide some protection against wax moths, etc. I took the trap off Monday and moved the remaining bees to the beeyard and shook them out on the ground away from the hives. They had developed a laying worker so I figured they'd divide themselves between the queenright hives. I moved one of the hives that I took from the tree back to rob out any remaining stores from the tree. I've never seen so much activity! I think I need to super the hive because it's gaining weight pretty rapidly and I have no idea how much honey is in the tree. I'll be sending the bill later this week for 5 hours time, mileage, and $60 in materials.

Years ago I remember reading that when the one day egg is available the bees can feed the larva what is called Royal Jelly and that is what changes the egg into developing into a queen rather than just another female worker. As the queen is larger they also have to reconstruct the comb cell. You could look at the frame and see if a larger cell or cells are present. If more than one queen being raised I have read that the first out will soon kill the others.

Most interesting, especially appreciated the photos. Thanks everyone for sharing these interesting bits of information.

Darn clever implementation! Thanks for sharing!

Cleo thank you for forwarding the files to my PM. It helped a lot for the detailed implementation. Going to have to look into making a setup!
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12