Hybrid View

Default so far not too good

been tough this year on my hives for swarming, the city only allows me two hives so I'm a bit limited on multiple hives

I had one golden mean top bar hive (read: too small) and it swarmed in April, I figured I would let them raise a queen since I saw queen cells on inspection

In the meantime, I built a larger hive and ordered a package (also in April)...I hadn't done a thorough inspection of the new hive but they were building nicely (looking through window) and then got out of line on about bar 5+.

I had a day planned to get in and do some "fixing" and they swarmed, go figure. Upon inspection of that new hive, they have about 6-8 bars built and some are full of nectar...no open brood, no capped brood...I'm wondering if the queen wasn't very good. I will be ordering a replacement queen for that hive and hopefully they can get back on the right track. Upon inspecting the old hive this week, I found two queen cells that were empty but no sign of a queen. One bar had some capped brood but no open brood at all. How long do you guys usually wait before expecting to see open brood if you let a hive raise their own queen?

I'm thinking I will probably need to re-queen both.

Default Re: so far not too good

Michael Bush's Bee Math page has the info on how long it takes.. I can just post it here. I hope it helps.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm

If you find eggs, and no queen how long ago do you KNOW there was a queen? At least there was one three days ago and possibly is one now. If you find just hatched larvae and open brood but no eggs when was there a queen? Four days.

If you put an excluder between two boxes and come back in four days and find eggs in one and not the other, what do you know? That the queen is in the one with eggs.

If you find a capped queen cell, how long before it should have emerged for sure? 9 days, but probably eight.

If you find a capped queen cell, how long before you should see eggs from that queen? 20 days.

If you killed or lost a queen, how long before you'll have a laying queen again? 24 days because the bees will start from a just hatched larvae.

If you start from larvae and graft, how long before you need to transfer the larvae to a mating nuc? 10 days. (day 14)

If you confine the queen to get the larvae how long before you graft? Four days because some won't have hatched at the beginning for day 3.

If you confined the queen to get the larvae how long before we have a laying queen? 28 days.

If a queen is killed and the bees raise a new one how much brood will be left in the hive just before the new queen starts to lay? None. It will take 24 or 25 days for the new queen (raised from a four day old) to be laying and in 21 days all the workers will have emerged and in 24 days all the drones will have emerged.

Lightbulb Re: so far not too good

I wounder if you could make an 8 foot top bar with a divider in the middle and openingd in each end?
    Old Guy in Alabama

Lightbulb Re: so far not too good

Sorry. double post.
    Old Guy in Alabama