Hybrid View

Default Directing traffic...temporary

My TBH lives next to my house on the side with a big picture window. This was fine until the window went bad. We are getting it replaced but don't want the window guys to get stung or us to harm the bees by doing something stupid.
    What can be done to close them inside (screen over entrance?) Or perhaps hang up a bed sheet between window and bees so they don't pay attention?
    I don't know what time of day or how long the window will take and its supposed to be on the upper 80s low 90s.... I don't want to cook the girls by restricting venting....
    The hive is almost parallel with the window. End entrances on one side and plugged entrance on other side.

EDIT: It also has a screened bottom, in that it has a Screen Floor with a Plywood Bottom Board that is removable. (Its on with 6 or 8 wing nuts, not a slide out tray)

Default Re: Directing traffic...temporary

I would put a screen on the front so they can't get out for the day. I wouldn't put a cover over them as they might not get enough air through the sheet (I killed one queen that way once). I would seal it up after the sun goes down so all the girls are inside. I'd also take off the bottom so there is more ventilation. If only a box or two you might want to move it out of their way so they don't trip over it and knock it all over the place and have bees flying.
    Disclaimer: I know enough to know I don't know anything yet.

Default Re: Directing traffic...temporary

I agree. Staple some screen over the entrance after dark and open the screened bottom.