Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Nucs? Trouble with my new hive?

Lucretia,
    What are the dimensions of your hive? What I mean is, how long are the bars, and how deep is your hive on
    the inside?(from the bottom of the top bar to the bottom of your hive)

Steven, I got the Backyard Hive original TBH, so 36" x 14.5" x 9". I only have the one hive, but I'm really thinking I need to start a second one. If I'd had another one, I might have had some brood to stick in the trouble hive. As it is, I don't know any TBH beeks in my area.

I've checked my hive again every couple of days since I last posted. There's definitely something wrong, but I'm not convinced I've got a laying worker. I'm almost more inclined to believe I've got a drone-laying queen. I took some more pictures today. There is brood in every stage of development, but most of the capped cells I've seen are drone. I think there might be a few worker cells, but I'm not sure??? Anyway, the reason I think it's a queen and not a LW is that, as you can clearly see from this picture, in all the cells I saw with eggs, there was only one egg in each, and they seemed to be all planted at the very back of the cell, not on the sides. Also the very smallest larva are developing at the very back of the cells. Could that pattern (one egg per cell at back of cell) still come from a LW, or do you think maybe they raised a new queen and she's started laying properly?

Well, I ordered a new queen anyway, because I was desperate and didn't know what else to do. She'll be arriving tomorrow.

Since I seem to have zero luck actually identifying the queen (or, if this actually is a LWH), can anyone recommend the best way to introduce the new queen? If there's a drone-laying queen (or even a new queen), will the bees take care of the old one for me? Or do I have to try to track her down? And if it's a LW, is it pretty much a lost cause? I really don't want to give up on these guys...

I'll propose this, just my own thoughts on what might possibly work. Feel free to correct me if this is wrong.

Assuming your hive has an entrance on each end, place a leader board against the last comb in your current hive. Then hang your queen on the opposite side of the board from where the main of the hive is at.Then I would start with one frame of comb at a time and inspect it thoroughly. If you are 100% convinced that you don't see a queen on that frame, then place it in the new end of the box with the new queen. If you do find a queen, kill her, since she obviously sucks at her job. In the end you will have moved all the frames and in doing so slowly introduced them to a new queen pheromone.

Now this doesn't solve the issue if you have a laying worker. Is this the same thread where we discussed what to do about LW. It seems like eveyone says you are almost doomed at that point, because the LW may kill the new queen or whatever. In that case I really don't know what to do. I wonder if it would be worth it to put the queen inside a secondary sort of barrier to protect her from any rowdy laying work that may try to sting her.

Does anyone know how long a queen can go without an attendant feeding her? And if her pheromone pervades the hive will LW's stop laying?

Tell you what, if you do this and transfer frames, just look for any worker bee that looks like she might have a bad attitude. If she does, then she might be that bitter LW that knows her days of being a drone mother are about over. Just slap her around a little bit and go about your business.
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

Lucretia,
    You're gonna have to find your queen, if you've got one. The reason I asked about the size of your hive
    is to see if our bars would interchange. I use a 19" top bar with around a 10" comb depth. I was going to see
    if you wanted to take a 6 hour car trip. I have a lot of brood we could use to boost you with. If we did Micheal
    Bush's panacea for queenless situations. It could mean several trips from and back to Dallas.
    I run R.Weaver's All-Americans or, daughters of them. I currently have two hives with Weaver mated queens
    in them. They're loaded with brood. Almost have 4ft long hives maxed out.
    If you bring some of your own bars, we could hair clip a comb to them.
    This is just an offer if you want to.

Something to think about. With Master Bush's panacea, you won't have to find your queen, won't matter about
    a laying worker, and will tell you what state of queenright or queenlessness you have.

Thank you Steven! I sent you a PM.

Just got word my queen is on her way to my house. I think I'm going to try your suggestion, Tom. Hopefully that will help things start adjusting! :-)

Oh, and thank you for your replies too, Colleen! I'm so glad to hear that your hive made it through that lull! I think that might have happened with mine, too, only I think my queen was just never very strong all along. *sigh* Hopefully the new lady will run a better household. :P

Best of luck! Like I said, I've never done it, it was just logical thinking. Anything you can do to slowly introduce the strong queen pheromone should help the transition.
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

Something not mentioned: you are starting with no comb. It takes a lot of energy to build comb. Are you feeding them 1:1? - Mike

Thanks Lucretia! I'm still worried about them but trying to keep the faith.

I read somewhere about trying to get around a laying worker by taking a bar of hatching brood and putting it with a bar of honey/pollen in a nuc until they got used to the new queen and it would be OK. The field bees are evidently the problem. Hope that isn't your issue, that it is just a bad queen that you can find and dispatch!

Oh, Colleen, let us know what happens! I hope it all comes right soon. =)

Good news here -- my bees seem to have accepted the new queen with no issues! She released today and I've been able to watch her through the observation window, and she's just crawling all around with her little court following along with her. And thanks to Steven I now have new workers and the bees have been very happily attending to the new combs. (Thank you Steven!!! ) The hive energy seems to have picked up a whole lot, too. So, I'll keep you all updated, but so far, so good!

And yes...um...now that I've had a chance to really look at and observe the new queen....I see what you guys meant about that other bee being a drone. Yup. My new queen is clearly marked so I'll have no trouble this time around. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    Oh, Colleen, let us know what happens! I hope it all comes right soon. =)

Good news here -- my bees seem to have accepted the new queen with no issues! She released today and I've been able to watch her through the observation window, and she's just crawling all around with her little court following along with her. And thanks to Steven I now have new workers and the bees have been very happily attending to the new combs. (Thank you Steven!!! ) The hive energy seems to have picked up a whole lot, too. So, I'll keep you all updated, but so far, so good!

And yes...um...now that I've had a chance to really look at and observe the new queen....I see what you guys meant about that other bee being a drone. Yup. My new queen is clearly marked so I'll have no trouble this time around. LOL
    Yay!! I'm so happy you've got the new queen and they have accepted her! That was really great of Steven Ogborn to help you out!

Thanks for asking about my bees. I inpected my girls again today. They are doing well (capped brood, larva, queen), just not expanding much (4 fully drawn brood bars, one partial, and one partial filled with honey and pollen) so I have decided to start feeding them again with the hope that will help them. I stopped when I saw the first capped honey on the bars but the honey they had stored at the top of the brood bars seems to be dwindling a bit. I think it may just be that I worry about them too much because I lost the other hive. I check on them once a week, partly just for me to learn, but maybe I should only check on them every two weeks or so. I did see some evidence of mites and 2 SHBs and I was also monitoring that but as of today the hive looks really clean of pests. We'll see if they take the food and if it helps them expand or not, then I'll decide about the checking schedule.

Let us know when you see that new queen of yours laying some eggs and you get capped worker brood from her!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12