Default Paint your hives???

What color are your hives?

I have ordered my TBH. It will be cypress but will be smooth. I have my other hives painted bright -happy colors. And I would like for this one to be pretty also...So---could you share your colors and pictures would be wonderful

Default Re: Paint your hives???

Cypress, just let her age with the times and she will become a nice, stately silver-gray. Throw some nice cedar shake shingles on the roof and you could have quite the hive...might even be the bee's knees. I simply love cypress left natural. You could even seal it with some linseed oil to help her age even more gracefully.

Just my .02 while channeling Martha.

Whatever paint is on the "oops" shelf at the local box stores -- $5 a gallon. No red or pink since I don't like it, the bees don't care. This is a great way to get something like Behr or Valspar premium paints that are warrented to last quite a long time for cheap. Paint with good paint and keep the joints dry and your boxes (or top bar hives) will last longer than you.

At the moment I have milk chocolate brown, John Deere green, light gray, white (left over from painting the house) and sand colored paint.

The hive I bought is pale blue, it's quite a color story here at the moment. The hives I want to put up in the back lot next year where I can't supervise them all the time will be the dark green for camo purposes.

Peter
    Last edited by psfred; 06-23-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Psfred and I do the same thing, buy the mismixed at Lowe's. I currently have bright yellow, sea foam green, and yesterday picked up a nice light plum color.