Thread: Planting

Hybrid View

Default Planting

I have several acres of land that I can plant for bees and was curious what you guys thought would be a good plant to put on the land. There is plenty of goldenrod around my area. I have some locust, poplar, sourwood and basswood trees as well. I have thought about planting some clover both yellow and white, more locust, sourwood and poplar trees along with some milkweed. Any other thoughts of what you guys would plant? Are these plants above good to plant and would they benefit my bees in the long run especially the trees? Thanks for any imput.

Default Re: Planting

sweet clover - but remember it is bi-annual,, so you need to plant 2 consecutive years for true annual coverage

Hubam sweet clover annual blooms about 70 days after planting in OK. Since it is a legume, it provides nitrogen to your soil. Draught resistant

Mix some Phacelia and borage with the Hubam

Ya know,
    I have clover all over the place and the bees are not touching it, they are focused on or tala trees in bloom instead.
    My trees are humming it's so cool.

I recommend diversity. Find a local wildflower meadow mix. You might end up with forage available over a longer period.
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

I appreciate the responses. It appears that sweet clover is a good choice and I like ccar2000's suggestion about a local wildflower mix, I never thought about that. What is a tala tree and when does it bloom?