Default Gold Meadal in Wine Makers Magazine Comp 2012

We did real good getting a gold for our dried elderberry mead. We grew and dried the elderberries from our own Wineyard and got the tulip poplar from a local beekeeper who keeps hives in our yard, Our local woodlot is full of locust and poplar tress.

35 ounces dried elderberries simmered in water 20 minutes, added 1 gallon of tulip poplar honey after berries cooled.
    We added fermaid, rapidase and kwik bentonite to help clear.
    93 grams of acid blend was needed and we also like to add oak, 55gm toasted oakmore in the primary.
    SG went from 1.100 to1.01, was fed a little more honey and raised to 1.024, down to 1.010 and back up to 1.030 for finisishing.
    Started Jan 11, 2011 and judged in April 2012, not bad aging for an elderberry!!

The rich taste of these berries comes through to the finish with the sweetness and body of the tulip polar honey, it made a good match with the elderberries.

WVMJ
    Meadmaking with WVMJ at Meads and Elderberry Winemaking

Default Re: Gold Meadal in Wine Makers Magazine Comp 2012

Congratulations! That is a fast finish. Do you think it will still get better?

way to go wvmj...it sounds like great wine

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Congratulations! That is a fast finish. Do you think it will still get better?
    Thanks and yes, they always get better. Our meads are usually bulk aged a year in the carboy and bottled and are very good to drink, I have read many people saying you have to wait a couple years for meads to be drinkable but we never believed that so we got to enjoy ours much earlier Since we have switched to using better honey our meads have gotten better than when we just used storebought clover. WVMJ

Since we have switched to using better honey our meads have gotten better than when we just used storebought clover. WVMJ

Store bought ???? isn't that corn syrup mixed with a little honey shipped in from china ?????

Congratulations! That is GREAT! Hopefully I'll be able to start this next year (making wine/mead). At least I know where to go to learn...right here! Again that is GREAT and congrats!

You guys help me keep my bees alive and well and I will help you make some great mead. You already know how to take care of bees, making mead is a lot easier! WVMJ

Quote Originally Posted by notaclue View Post
    Congratulations! That is GREAT! Hopefully I'll be able to start this next year (making wine/mead). At least I know where to go to learn...right here! Again that is GREAT and congrats!

Great work. Looking at your site you seem like you would fit right in with NAFEX, the North American Fruit Explorers.