Hybrid View

Default What size hive boxes are those with bad backs using?

Having Fusion done on lower back at age 50 and since this is my first year I wondered if I could find out what will be best size hive boxes to use from this day forward. I Have 1 2-deep ready for honey super and 2 single deeps ready for second deeps. I'm not so far into this that I can't change directions on equipment size. Any input would be thoughtful.

Default Re: What size hive boxes are those with bad backs using?

Sorry I dont have an answer to your question but the bad back topic caught my attention. I lifted both of my 2 deep 10 frame hives yesterday on to a hive stand that I made and they were HEAVY It was too cold to take them apart thats why I lifted them together. My back is a little sore today.

I have back issues. I use 8 frame deep boxes for brood and supers. I'm changing now to a single deep on the bottom with mediums from there up. This is in the process of changing to all 8 frame medium boxes exclusively for both brood and supers. I already have over 80 - 8 frame deeps so will probably be cutting them all down, but if I had it to do all over again, I'd use medium depth 7 frame boxes, boxes that are 12 1/2" wide outside edge to outside edge. I think it would be a better size for both me and the bees.

I have a theory that bees prefer odd number of frames vs even numbers in a box. I've also noticed that once they have 5 to 7 frames drawn, they like to start moving upwards as much or more than they want to move sideways. So, I've got my little pet theory that I may start having some boxes made that are 7 frame mediums. Mannlake will custom make the boxes for me no problem, it's just that I already have all of these 8 frame deeps... and my back is such that I don't use power tools, especially saws anymore, so what to do with all these boxes? I may try to fill them with bees and sell them off, and repalcing them as time goes on.

Best of luck to you, and TAKE CARE OF THAT BACK, I hope you continue to recover.
    When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    I have a theory that bees prefer odd number of frames vs even numbers in a box.
    There is not much weight difference in the box it is in the number of full frames so just put less frames in the box and use a blank to close up the space. Put the bigger boxes on the bottom and narrower ones towards the top (more stable). I don't see the point in reworking them.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    ... I have a theory that bees prefer odd number of frames vs even numbers in a box. I've also noticed that once they have 5 to 7 frames drawn, they like to start moving upwards as much or more than they want to move sideways...
    You may be on to something Ray. Go back and find the old skep beekeeping videos filmed in Germany and see now many combs or how big these skep colonies are. Most were only 8 combs wide with the 7th and 8th (out side) combs tiny. Yes I know that bees are like humans in so far as our work ethic is concerned and that over time the amount of worked wax increases to fill the available space. Just saying.

But when you watch this video notice the amount of lifting and toting that goes along with keeping bees in cow dung hives.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

I don't have a bad back (hopefully I never will), I have been proactive about caring for my back. When I was about fourteen years old I switched from 10-frame deeps, to all 10-frame mediums, and about ten-fifteen years ago I changed again, to all 8-frame mediums. I'm a fairly strong man and 8-frame medium supers, full of honey are quite hefty. Even 5-frame mediums full of honey have a nice weight to them.

I have concern for those who run deeps, and I hope they can continue avoiding back or other injuries, indefinitely -- but it may be safer for them to switch to all medium supers, or even 8-frame medium supers. It may be financially more economical to run deeps, even 10-frame deeps, but once someone has an irreversible injury that causes limitations, all they can do about it is have regret.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I also have back issues. I have begun to take a couple of 5 frame nucs [full of drawn comb] with me to my production hives and pull honey and put it in the 5 framers. Then I replace the frames with drawn comb. Working very well and much easier on the back.

I'm switching to 8 frame, one deep for brood, the rest mediums for more brood and honey. I now never lift a 10 frame medium super full of honey, I just pull out capped frames of honey for extraction and use a large feather to brush off the bees. Feathers work far better than bee brushes for me. When the supers are only partly full, I will lift them off. So far my back is doing just fine.

Im with camero7 on this. Work smarter. It isnt about the size of the frames or the number of them in the box.its how you handle them. I take extra empty boxes into the beeyards. I dont feel like I have to move an entire box full of honey in one swoop. And, if Id had fusion surgery Id be even more cautious. Even a full shallow super can be relatively heavy. I've injured my back before...to the point that I couldn't walk. It scared me. I'm not taking unnecessary chances.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I am going to all shallow hive bodies......brood and honey.
    Do more for others than they do for you. That way you owe no one anything other than respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Bear View Post
    Having Fusion done on lower back at age 50 and since this is my first year I wondered if I could find out what will be best size hive boxes to use from this day forward. I Have 1 2-deep ready for honey super and 2 single deeps ready for second deeps. I'm not so far into this that I can't change directions on equipment size. Any input would be thoughtful.

I too have had back surgery and fussions, matter of fact five surgeries. I use two brood chambers (deeps) and the rest medium to thin (shallow) suppers. I may end up useing the bigger suppers, not the brood chamber, as brood chambers to reduce the weight. I use five frame nucs for captured hives. They are lighter and I can carry them across a yard it I have to.

Michael Bush has a page about converting to all medium 8 frame equipment. Here's the beginning:
    My first step in the direction of lighter beekeeping equipment was trying horizontal hives, which I like a lot. But I still had a lot of old equipment around, so I started cutting the deeps down to mediums and quit using deeps and shallows. Then I cut the ten frame boxes to eight frames. If you want to understand why, a ten frame deep full of honey weighs 90 pounds. A ten frame medium weighs 60 pounds. An eight frame medium weighs 48 pounds.
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beeseightframemedium.htm

And this page lists common box sizes and their weights:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#lighterboxes

Its not so much an issue of what can you comfortably lift now, a better question is what can you comfortably lift 10 years from now?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft