Default Another good reason to use rubber bands on cutout frames!

A buddy of mine is so busy with cut-outs I agreed to help him do his hive inspections. He uses string to wrap cutout comb in frames. As we were going through one of his hives, I noticed the queen walking around in circles on the frame. As I looked closer, I noticed her leg was caught in a piece of frayed string he used during the cutout. As we pulled other frames, we found about 20 or so bees also caught in the string.

We were able to free the queen but she lost a leg in the process. We took all the string out of the hive and used runner bands. Much easier.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Default Re: Another good reason to use rubber bands on cutout frames!

only whey to go

You know, before, I was agin rubber bands. After seeing what happened in my swarm hive, and what you posted, the cotton may not be the way to go.
    Watch the video, and see the bees stuck in the cotton fray.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeE5PaHROQk

i'v been using fishing line.
    i prepare my cutout frames ahead of time with fishing line secured on one side of the frame. i then place the cutout comb onto the frame with the FL holding it into place then i would put rubber bands around. i find this helps allot when only one person is doing the job.
    the problem i have with rubber bands is that i am afraid that when the band breaks, it may hit and damage the or kill the queen.