Default First grafting attempt

Monday I grafted 10 cells as my first attempt at grafting. I had a starter ready for them. I was hoping to get at least 1 cell started but they started 6 out of 10. All 6 are really good size. I know the 4 that were not started were questionable when I put them in the cups. I think I damaged them removing them from the cells but was trying to use only the tinyest larvae. I was using a chinese grating tool and had trouble telling when I had scooped the larvae just right or went too far and maybe sqaushed them against the far cell wall. I'm guessing more practice will help.
    Mark

Default Re: First grafting attempt

Wow, don't beat yourself up Mark...6 out of 10 is quite impressive for a first attempt!
    Also, FWIW, I like to take a piece of burr comb with some eggs/brood in it home with me every now & then, just to practice grafting on them...hopefully, in about 4-6 days, when my first larvae from my new queens (old ones turned out to be AHB, so had to throw out the idea of breeding those), I'll have enough practice to not botch things too terribly

Checked cells today and they had torn down one of them. The others were very nice and quite large. They were also capped. I didn't expect them to be capped yet as they were grafted on Monday noon and it was late Friday afternoon when I checked. I did check for rogue cells today and there were a few I removed on frames. I would have posted pics but my phone does not have internet so it is a bit of a challenge for me to be able to post them.
    Mark

Good job, but just in case you don't know they were capped right on schedule 4-5 day after grafting. Be sure and get them into mating nucs on day 10.

I know the thread is old here but thought I would followup. 4 of 5 queens mated and laying. Had some poor weather for mating. Round 2, 7 cells finished installed in nucs. Grafting again soon as weather allows.

4 of 5 ain't bad for a first try! good job!