Default Fat beekeeper video - 5 frame vs 8 frame

I recently saw a video from "The Fat Beekeeper" in which he states that if you are going 8 frame, then you might as well go 5 frame, and says the 5 frame hives will outproduce the 8 frame hives.

I have a lot of respect for Don, but this seems to be a stretch.

Opinions?

Default Re: Fat beekeeper video - 5 frame vs 8 frame

If you stack supers on top, they very well may. He should have learned something in fifty years of doing this for a living.

He does super them up like a regular hive.
    I agree he's a sharp guy, but you know even the most knowledgeable sometimes make statements that are a little exaggerated.
    If this is really true, wouldn't all his hives be setup like that?

He is not a honey producer, he produces bees. There are times when honey production is enevitable so you super your nucs.

Yeah, you have to keep in mind Don makes bees and honey just gets in his way. The 5 frames will build faster and produce more qc's faster to make more nuc's and queens which is what he's looking for.

I didnt bother but do the math. how high would a nuc have to be to hold 100# honey? not practical at all.

Some good points have been made here, but Don states the 5 frame will outproduce an 8 frame since 5 framers are more like a tree. That means more honey will be made.
    Beeware10; It doesn't take a tall hive to make a lot of honey unless you don't have the time to tend that way. My most productive hive so far this year is one brood, excluder, 2 rotating shallows. More effort on my part, less parts overall, & they're small and tight to keep the pests like SHB out.
    Don does infer he stacks them 5 high. This would be an interesting comparison, but the costs of all those 5 framers are close to the same as the 8 framers I'm using, which is also about the same price as a 10 frame. We need a case study!

Quote Originally Posted by DonShackelford View Post
    I recently saw a video from "The Fat Beekeeper" ...
    Would you mind posting the link to that video? Thanks! Freya

Quote Originally Posted by FreyaFL View Post
    Would you mind posting the link to that video? Thanks! Freya
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm8uB...ature=youtu.be

One thing to keepin mind is that the smaller you go with a box the more material it requires to make that equipment. IT takes one side to enclose the box. that side is the same size wether the box is 5, 8 or 10 frame. the only difference is the length of the ends. So it increases material when you use a full side to hold just 5 frames. it requires a bit more material to use a side for just 8 frames. In short there is more skin on 5 lbs of small potatoes than there is on 5 lbs of larger potatoes.

Also 5 frame boxes would not be nearly as stable as 8 or 10 frames boxes. Much easier to handle and twice as many boxes to sort through than 10 frame boxes. But I tend to think of a hive in number of frames not number of boxes. 20 frames are 20 frames it does not matter to me if they are in 2 or 4 boxes.

5 frame boxes woudl very well serve something I want to explore. And that is managing a hive so it builds down rather than up. I am just getting started but I want to see if bees will build down more readily than adding boxes above them.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I make all my own boxes, and I can make them at a fraction of what they sell for in bulk from the supply companies, so I don't even think about the cost of manufacturing a 10 frame vs. 5 frame. I have always wanted to experiment with honey production of a 5 frame hive setup, so I am doing it this year and will let you know how it goes. I have heard of a few people who routinely produce honey strictly out of 5 frame boxes, and they claim they do real well in the narrower hive because of the bees tendency to want to move upwards instead of sideways. My only concern is when you get 5 framers stacked too high(more than 3 or 4) they would be top heavy and unstable in high winds. You might have to invent some sort of anchoring device to keep the hives from toppling over, any suggestions on that? John

He says he puts 3 supers on each of these 5-frame hives. I couldn't tell if these were mediums or shallows, but either way, that's pretty high. However, couldn't he remove supers once they're filled and capped? This could (possibly) keep the number down to only two. Or, with a bit more manipulation, even just one? (Or would this lead to overcrowding...?)

(DonShackelford -- Thanks for the link!)

FreyaFL, I'm thinking and hoping that you could get by with less than three supers at a time. I built all medium 5 framers for brood and honey, so I will probably need to use about three just for brood alone, then whatever it takes for honey supers, which means I will be at least 5 to 6 high at some point, and thats getting unstable in high winds. Still would like some ideas on how to stabilize a stack like that. John

I'm making some boxes that are half the width of 10 frame boxes. They only fit 4 frames properly, but it allows two boxes to be placed side by side on a 10 frame super (if needed). Then you can mix and match on a normal 10 frame hive. Doing it to see if they draw out comb faster on a normal hive. (May only need to be on the top of the hive, or directly above the brood nest.)

If there's little difference, I'll just use the boxes for Nucs or for catching swarms.

So I'll see how they go!
    Matthew Davey

MattDavey, sounds like an interesting idea to try, but are you saying you want to see if they will draw a 4 frame box of comb faster if you set it on top of a normal 10 frame hive? Just need some clarification, my brain isn't functioning fully yet, its early. John

Jmgi, that is correct. Try putting them on top of a 10 frame hive. Less area to heat up, better for wax making. Especially if alternated with capped (honey or brood) frames. (To stop comb being overdrawn.)

Matthew Davey

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    One thing to keepin mind is that the smaller you go with a box the more material it requires
    Daniel, your comment brings this thread full circle, and is the reason I started it. Since most of us have to purchase expensive lumber to make boxes, some reasonable expectation of ROI is only prudent before investing in the extra cost of 5 framers.
    Right now, I'm all 8 frame deeps. That's expensive enough given the cost of 1x12. Until I see more evidence or case studies, I think I'll stick with it.