Default Second brood box: top or bottom?

When adding a second (and/or third) brood box (undrawn frames) do you put them on the top or bottom?

Default Re: Second brood box: top or bottom?

I have always put them on top, but since I'll be adding another box on at least one hive this week, I might try putting them underneath to see what happens.

Left on their own, bees build down perforce -- there is no way for them to "develop" more space above, so they build comb down until they fill the available space.

I don't suppose there is any reason they wouldn't build out a new box from the top down, and if someone is using foundationless frames, it might be better to put the box on the bottom since the bees don't have to crawl all the way to the top of the empty frames to build comb.

The only drawback I can see is if they decide to leave the bottom edge "natural" -- that is, not finished to the bottoms bars but rounded and hanging free. Wasted space is the big issue, since there isn't every going to be honey there anyway, but it does make the comb harder to handle when full of pollen.

The other reason for putting a new box on top is that you don't have to life the bottom box up -- a deep full of honey and brood is fairly heavy, after all.

Peter

I'm planning on running a deep and two mediums for brood hoping to keep the deep on the bottom. I added the medium to two hives in the last 2 weeks. The first one I put it on top initially but after a week they hadn't touched it so I moved it to the bottom thinking that in a tree they'll always build down. The second I by default (and learning from the first) put it on the bottom. It's screws up my plan of leaving the deep on the bottom though.

DLMKA, give this a thought. I do a deep and 2 mediums also, and have found it works well to leave the deep in the middle and reverse the 2 mediums as needed.