Sad Found a queen wandering in the grass... what would you do with it?

There is no video on YouTube to deal with the bee experiences I am having... here is one.

Default Re: Found a queen wandering in the grass... what would you do with it?

Put her in a queen cage and set her on top bars in the hive. If the bees start attacking the cage then you know she's not that colony's queen. When you find a colony that seems to be "friendly" towards her you've probably found her colony. The cage should keep her alive until the correct colony is found.

Ed

The tissue at the end of her abdomen is the wrong color for an egg. Can't see clearly, but it could be the mating apparatus of a drone after a mating flight and it got stuck there.....? Can't see that well, but I can tell you its not normal.

Thanks... I wonder if the protrusion is put there to stop her from breeding? I got some bees from a strawberry farmer and these were for pollination... what do you think? could something be added to stop a queen from laying?

My guild actually just talked about this on Monday. It does look like a penis that is stuck in there. The worker bees would take it out when she got back. She was probably on her mating flight and got tired and was resting. If you take a bunch of bees and throw them in a new hive and add her then you should be able to make a new hive (same thing as a box of bees.)
    Disclaimer: I know enough to know I don't know anything yet.

if you do find her a hive, i suspect they will supersede her as soon as possible if she is damaged, but i would think she'd be able to lay eggs in the mean time...

Her missing front leg is her undoing, she cannot measure the cell size without it.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I just now watched the video and heard the audio...I agree with NasalSponge...a missing front leg means she needs replacing.

Ed

Thanks guys. I added you comments to the YouTube video and will add a link to this chat to the video

Here is a pic of what I am calling a Japanese "Sumo" Drone - a massive Japanese drone that probably left his penis in my small dainty western "mite susceptible" queen... Since Japanese bees have had 100k years to adept to verroa mites they are not susceptible to the disease they carry... yet they are dying... http://youtu.be/L8dPWx665lc... here is the Sumo Drone pic http://j.mp/SumoJPDrone . Today I netted some Japanese bees and moved them to a safe location near 5k sun flowers...

Here is the video of me finding them... the villagers thought they were mine and were angry... reason for my wife's attitude in this video http://youtu.be/Uj7lIM8d9tI

That's too bad that you're getting blamed for a swarm of bees. It will be difficult to explain, but in time hopefully the people around you understand a little more about what you do. Hopefully the swarm prospers in their new home!

Quote Originally Posted by DamSutt1986 View Post
    That's too bad that you're getting blamed for a swarm of bees. It will be difficult to explain, but in time hopefully the people around you understand a little more about what you do. Hopefully the swarm prospers in their new home!
    Actually, I worked out and I removed the bees and explained they were Japanese Honey bees not western one... they are appreciative. Today I split the swarm to try to say a queen... http://youtu.be/RgYtAKKulCs