Yes, I made this classic mistake, twice...

I went for a 4' box, because it was easy to remember. But indeed, that makes the overall length to be more like 4.5' by the time you add on legs and such. The free piece of roofing material I have are only 4' long, so now it looks goofy that my roof doesn't fully cover the hive. It looked good on the 3' hive since the roof actually had an overhang on the ends, like a porch awning. I'm thinking the new 4' box looks pretty crappy actually. I may just trash it because I have a mild case of OCD, and build a new one that is all square proper. I was in a hurry on this one and made a few stupid mistakes.

I'm thinking if I have reach a finalized design I'll share the plans on here. I've been looking at several different designs that people have come up with, such as having the legs integrated into the end boards and such. There are a lot of great ideas out there, but every situation is different. I still need to figure out a hinged lid for mine after all! I'm thinking cedar shingles on the roof would be cute too.