Default Does TopBar brood look different than Lang brood???

So I did my 3rd inspection yesterday. It's been about 3 weeks since installing a 3# package. Everything went as expected but I think I scared myself a little bit inspecting the brood.

From the pictures of worker brood I have studied before I expected the cappings to be almost flat. However my brood cappings were a little protruded. At first glance I thought... Oh no, this is all drone brood. I had about 9 combs just full of them. After getting online after the inspection and looking up more pictures I think I may have just been paranoid. Although they aren't flat like I expected they are still smaller than what most pictures of drone brood look like.

Could it be that worker brood is flatter in Langstroth hives? I meant to upload pic.s but forgot to put them on my computer. Can do at a later time.

Default Re: Does TopBar brood look different than Lang brood???

Brood in a TBH will be no different than brood in a Lang, Warre, National, or hollow tree. Worker brood will stick out just a bit and drone brood will really protrude from the cell. A pic would be the best way to help you out here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush_84 View Post
    Brood in a TBH will be no different than brood in a Lang, Warre, National, or hollow tree. Worker brood will stick out just a bit and drone brood will really protrude from the cell. A pic would be the best way to help you out here.

I'll get a pic up here this evening. I really think that I was just under the incorrect assumption that it should be really flat. It doesn't protrude a lot but because of me being under that assumption I really thought something didn't look right.

ok, so these aren't my pictures but this will show exactly what I saw.....

Originally I imagined the cells to look flat, kind of how the first picture makes them appear.... but looking at them up close they looked slightly protruded like the second picture shows.

Bee brood 2.jpg

bee brood.jpg

So as I said before, I think I just made myself paranoid over an inaccurate assumption.

It is not drone brood, it's worker brood. I wouldn't be concerned at all. In fact it sound's like it's doing well, considering that this is a three-week-old hive and already has 9 combs of brood. I installed a package into a topbar hive 4 weeks ago, and it only has 7 combs of brood. Keep doin' whatcha doin'.