Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poachers

Default Re: Poachers

Timothy,

I'd be upset if I were you. Seriously, I'd spray with Beegone and just leave them where they sit.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

.......however if you end up with a drone layer in one of your hives and a few old bees to go with her
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    .......however if you end up with a drone layer in one of your hives and a few old bees to go with her
    Even better!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    I'd be upset if I were you. Seriously, I'd spray with Beegone and just leave them where they sit.
    Luckily for me Charlie doesn't know the addresses of where I have traps set up around his sites.

Where do you think I place all my wax moth frames!

A friend and I had 10 hives on a lot that he owns. In years past a commercial had set 100+ hives about 10 miles down the road. I checked with a few people that lived in the neighborhood and no one knew of hives being in the general area of my 10 hives, they where only aware of the hives 10 miles down the road. A very short time after I placed them the Commercial guy dropped well over 100 hives a little under a mile from mine. No big deal, I moved mine but left a couple empty boxes with some old comb there.
    I would be just heart broke to learn that he somehow vandalized my equipment. I think I'm playing fair and being reasonable. Always two sides to a story.

No swarms have moved into my boxes and I probably don't want to mix my fine stock with that trashy commercial stuff anyways!! Kidding.....it's a joke!

Wouldn't bother me to see swarm traps near my hives. I practise swarm control but if I do lose a swarm it's 99 out of 100 I'll never see it again anyway, swarm traps or not.

I've heard of swarm traps being patroled by other beekeepers, and the swarms removed from them and put in the other beekeepers hives.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

It's an interesting thought this thread and I see both sides of the coin I guess. If a calf wanders on to the neighbours property is it his? If your canola seed blows on to my property is it mine (or Monsantos)?

Now I don't really want to go around and put a tag on each and every bee, but they are livestock and therefore the property of the person that purchased them including any offspring produced.

This is coming from a guy that had to take part of the day off to take a pile of bees out of his neighbours apple tree today.

I wouldn't care. Bees are legally wild animals. If a horse gets out, it's still yours. If bees swarm, they're only yours as long as you're the first one to retrieve them or in certain places, as long as you keep them within sight.

Now if somebody is trespassing, I'd say it's time for some targeted vandalism. What that looks like is up to you.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

I'm with Dan Y, Don't get bent. Practice good swam control, if a swarm wanders off consider it lost, wether it hits someone elses box, a home or a hollow tree. It would have been a loss anyway.

The thought of messing with someones stuff with bee gone or anything else.... just make my blood boil! How would you like someone spraying your hive with raid? Hey they are stining insects arent they? Hence a threat? One of the kids could have had an anaphalictic (sp) responce and ended up in the hospital... (JUSTIFIED????) No.

Practice good swarm control, Meet your neighbors and develop a GOOD relationship with your fellow beekeepers!

I don't agree with Doc on the livestock sililoquy in that The colony is in itself the property of the owner, as are those additional colonies eht beekeeper places out. But the beekeeper never has the control over his livestock as a cattle herder does.

Bees are insects not livestock and they are yours as long as they stay in your box, once out of the box they are no longer yours. The bees did not belong to the neighbours only because they did not want to become beekeepers.

Quote Originally Posted by rtoney View Post
    Bees are insects not livestock and they are yours as long as they stay in your box, once out of the box they are no longer yours. The bees did not belong to the neighbours only because they did not want to become beekeepers.
    Sorry I failed to mention that I use his yard as a bee yard as well. That statement was not meant to be a statement of posession but of poor swarm management.

If bees are not livestock then beekeepers are not considered farmers I guess?

Personally if I lose a swarm it's no big deal where they end up (other than mailboxes etc.), if they wish to go feral so be it. If another beek catches them so be it. I lose them anyway.

Bees are only "legally wild animals" as long the law says so. The targeted vandalism thing sort of goes against the statement of "legally wild animals". Should he not call the police in that situation rather than some sort of vigilante justice? Maybe a good lynching is in order?

Point being there is no need for someone to be setting swarm traps right around his bee yard hoping to profit from his misfortune. Legally maybe acceptable, morally not so.

Technically or historiclly it's livestock & ranching not farming a farmer grows from the ground. So as not to start a whole other debate livestock is something that can be controled or in the case of open range ranching can be branded or marked for identification. I would look at beekeeping more on the ranching side no matter how the government would label it & just because of the nature of the beast (insects), no they are not livestock to be branded or marked for identification upon leaving the hive.

Quote Originally Posted by doc25 View Post
    Point being there is no need for someone to be setting swarm traps right around his bee yard hoping to profit from his misfortune. Legally maybe acceptable, morally not so.
    In my case,I keep a few empty hives around my bee yard.If someone else sets traps near my hives then there is the big possibility that the other persons traps may draw a swarm that would have gone into one of my empties.So,if I spot the traps,well......
    Now,I haven't tried this yet but consider what one of those cans of expanding foam would do to a swarm trap.It would actually be doing a service for the trapper in that it would keep out mice and wasps.
    Seriously,there are plenty of places to put traps rather than close to someones bee yard.

Moved

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Soak two Q-tips, one in bee-go the other in lemon grass.Put your trap right next to his with a sign " may the best man win".
    rofl!!!!

A swarm trap will not incite bees to swarm. If you're there to catch them, they are just as likely to stay where you put them. If you're not there to catch your swarms, they are fair game...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have an old beekeeper that rides around some of my yards during swarm season looking for swarms to catch that have moved away from my yards. He always tells me if he finds one. Some years he complains that they did not swarm. Well, duh, we nuc and split the devil out of them. So I am like Jim lyons, I would rather see them in the old guys box than in a hollow tree or house wall space somewheres. TED
    ALABAMA BEE COMPANY-A member of the Sioux Honey association -*Sweetening a golden tommorrow*

In Ontario Bee laws and regulations if you are actively chasing a swarm they are considerably your property and you have the right to enter another person's property to retrieve them. As soon as you stop chasing them, someone can chase them and assume ownership. If they enter someone else's equipment you no longer have legal claim to them. That is my understanding of the law anyways, though the law doesn't always make good neighbour's

Really ??
    Get over it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast