Default burr comb with larva?

when i inspected friday, i pulled few frames with some burr comb on the bottom, there was a little on one side attaching the frame to the side. i scraped it all off everywhere but the one frame-it had larva in it, just, maybe 5. i just couldn't scrape them off. is it cool to leave it and scrape this part later when they hatch out, or would you all scrape it all off, all the time?

i'm first year, but it really doesn't look anything like pictures i've seen of swarm cells. just looks like all the other bits of comb they've put here and there, like what was hanging from my queen cage when i took it out. and i found my queen this time, too, and everything else looks great.

so, scrape always? or not?

thank you!

stacy

Default Re: burr comb with larva?

its not going to cause any harm to leave it. might make a mess if they build it out alot and it gets in the way.

If you look close, the burr comb cells with larvae are most likely larger than worker brood and drone. I usually scrape off and drop on the ground for birds as I encounter it, but don't chase it.

If you are using foundation, the bees sometimes use that space to put drone. When it tears apart when you pull a frame, look at it as an opportunity to inspect drone larvae for varroa. I just leave it if it doesn't get in the way of something else. If you put a frame of drone comb in (green plastic) your bees will probably stop putting it annoying places like that.