Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Mann Lake Inner Cover

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  LeonardS 
#1 ·
My bees are still taking some sugar syrup from my Mann Lake Hive Top Feeders, but when they quit taking syrup and I install the inner cover, should I cut a small channel in the edge of the inner cover for an entrance/vent? As they are supplied by Mann Lake, there is a rectangular cutout in the plywood, but no channel for an entrance/vent. How is the heat supposed to get out between the inner cover and telescopic cover?

#6 ·
When you consider bees in the wild...they tend to find homes with a good size cavity and a small entrance, no SBB and no upper vents. Back in the 80's we all had solid BB and unslotted inner covers. I would (as I still do now) drill a 3/4" hole in the front of some of my supers but this is more for an upper entrance than for a vent and those bees thrived. The bees do a wonderful job of regulating the temp in the hive. For your consideration. :D

#8 ·
It's true that bees prefer cavities with lower or bottom entrances in the wild, but they also usually don't choose a cavity with a 1/2" plywood top.

A notch in the cover is helpful, winter or summer. You can also put a piece of popsicle stick or other thin shim on the corners of the inner cover which will give them plenty of space for air movement without allowing other bees in.

Peter

#16 ·
i use a similar approach by notching both the front and back of the inner cover, in line with and the same width as the oval hole in the middle.

after seeing what the wax moths and hive beetles can do, i decided to cover both notches with window screen.

so far so good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.