Default Mann Lake Inner Cover

My bees are still taking some sugar syrup from my Mann Lake Hive Top Feeders, but when they quit taking syrup and I install the inner cover, should I cut a small channel in the edge of the inner cover for an entrance/vent? As they are supplied by Mann Lake, there is a rectangular cutout in the plywood, but no channel for an entrance/vent. How is the heat supposed to get out between the inner cover and telescopic cover?

Default Re: Mann Lake Inner Cover

I have quite a few Mann Lake inner covers, and I just cut a 1/2" dado in the rim for an upper entrance and ventilation.

Why do you want the heat out. They need the hive to be 92 or 94 degrees??? for the brood. I have my hives in full sun in Florida with no ventilation ever.

psisk

Quote Originally Posted by psisk View Post
    Why do you want the heat out. They need the hive to be 92 or 94 degrees??? for the brood. I have my hives in full sun in Florida with no ventilation ever.

psisk
    I thought they would need some ventilation as the Summer progresses?

I allways have a upper enterance/ventilation slot. I think it helps them regulate the temp as well as get rid of excess moisture.

When you consider bees in the wild...they tend to find homes with a good size cavity and a small entrance, no SBB and no upper vents. Back in the 80's we all had solid BB and unslotted inner covers. I would (as I still do now) drill a 3/4" hole in the front of some of my supers but this is more for an upper entrance than for a vent and those bees thrived. The bees do a wonderful job of regulating the temp in the hive. For your consideration.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I notch all of ours on the router table.
    Dan

It's true that bees prefer cavities with lower or bottom entrances in the wild, but they also usually don't choose a cavity with a 1/2" plywood top.

A notch in the cover is helpful, winter or summer. You can also put a piece of popsicle stick or other thin shim on the corners of the inner cover which will give them plenty of space for air movement without allowing other bees in.

Peter

I just cut a small notch out of all my Mann Lake inner covers. I also put on a small wood shim in during the summer/hot season.

Gary, do your bees use the notch for an upper entrance? What size notch do you use? When you shim the top cover, what size shim and do you shim one end or the entire cover.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
    Gary, do your bees use the notch for an upper entrance? What size notch do you use? When you shim the top cover, what size shim and do you shim one end or the entire cover.
    Yes they do use it...often!
    I cut about a 1/2" notch in the cover.
    I use 2 "standard" wood shims and place each one on the top of super. It gives about a 1/4 inch gap all along the front side of the hive. I think it helps with ventilation.
    Last edited by garyk1398; 05-31-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: typo

Its good to hear from someone that is close. Do you put the notch toward the front of the hive for the upper entrance?

Yes I do. I see and think the foragers returning to the hive with nectar prefer it over the bottom entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by garyk1398 View Post
    Yes I do. I see and think the foragers returning to the hive with nectar prefer it over the bottom entrance.
    GaryK,
    Do you think the foragers have to "learn" to use the top entrance when it is added? Do you have to somehow force them to start using it?

Quote Originally Posted by beecole View Post
    GaryK,
    Do you think the foragers have to "learn" to use the top entrance when it is added? Do you have to somehow force them to start using it?
    They decide on their own. I have both available for them to use so I'm not really sure why they chose one over the other. Some use it, some don't.

i use a similar approach by notching both the front and back of the inner cover, in line with and the same width as the oval hole in the middle.

after seeing what the wax moths and hive beetles can do, i decided to cover both notches with window screen.

so far so good.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Gary, do you have the notch on the top so they must exit/enter above the inner cover or below so they can enter directly into the hive?