Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

how to do a cut out and transfer to Top bar Hive?

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Slow Modem 
#1 ·
I really should be posting this in the Cutout threads but I'm on top bars and thought I could get some better top bar specific answers here.....

I am friends with an exterminator who called me up yesterday saying he got an offer to come get rid of some honey bees in an outside wall of a house. He has actually killed a hive that was set up in this exact same wall before... that was before he knew me.

So I dont have many details yet to really make a decision. Here is what I know so far.... He removed a small colony last year from same wall. He easily opened up a sqaure section of the wall to remove the comb. He did NOT close this back up himself. The owners are looking to have this removed/killed by Friday. If I dont remove them they are going to pay him to kill them.

Sooooo I'm a very new beekeeper to begin with. Only have one Top Bar Hive and have one more that is empty. So I definitely have somewhere to put some new bees but I'm not so sure I am ready for a cut out on my own.

It sounds like it should be an easy enough removal but I just dont know if this is something I should commit to. Another thing is that I'll have to do it after work Friday. So I will only have about 3 hours to get it out... then by the time I get home it will already be dark. So I would probably have to wait until morning to install into my empty hive.

Basically I just need some advice from some beeks that are a bit more experienced than myself. Is this something I should just pass up for now? If I do go through with this what would be my best strategy of removing the hive with the comb? Transporting ideas...?

Thanks for any and all advice you have.

See less See more
#2 ·
Transferring combs from a cutout to a Lang is one thing. To a TBH is another subject. There are several threads on here on how to attach comb to bars. None are perfect. All work better with light, empty comb. High summer temps make it even harder to support cutout comb, and I see you're close to me, so it's hot. I'm in my third year of beekeeping and think I'd still pass on it if all I had were top bar hives. I've done a few tranfers into Langs. Maybe you could just get the bees and put them in your empty TBH and feed them while they build new comb.

Not to change the subject, but did you see that Michael Bush will be in Nashville this weekend?

#4 ·
I had to do just that on April 30th.

I used tie-wraps with hair clips to attach the comb to my bars. Do not tighten the tie wraps all the way until you have attached the comb because you will not be able to open them up enough if they are too tight.

Here's a thread on my cut-out with the top bar hive. There is a lot of info on here:

Would you all recommend an inside cut-out or outside trap-out?

#6 ·
I find split bars are the best way of transferring comb. Split a bar on the table saw and drill a couple holes for screws; then pinch the top of the comb in between the 2 half-bars and screw them down. Yes, you squish a few cells, but it's fast and clean and keeps the comb nicely centered. Just be sure to orient your attached comb properly.

#9 ·
Another thing is that I'll have to do it after work Friday. So I will only have about 3 hours to get it out... then by the time I get home it will already be dark. So I would probably have to wait until morning to install into my empty hive.
I'm not trying to be negative, but here's the forecast for Friday from the NWS for Dunlap (it's probably something you should consider):

Friday: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 11am. Some storms could be severe, with large hail and damaging winds. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 77. North wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 51.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 80.
Maybe it'll all be over by Friday evening. But I'd consider Saturday as an alternate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.