Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: My Hopguard experience

The mineral oil fogging thing hit my country in a big way around 2 years ago when heaps of people rushed off and bought one, thinking a great way to solve their varroa issues. Nearly all those foggers are sitting in sheds / up for sale now, just wasn't that effective. To kill a few mites, it will work. To actually eradicate mites from the hive, it has to be done every three days for several weeks, not particularly good for the bees.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

So , who has a good mead and PIKE recipe?

I see I can't purchase Hopguard in NC, where can I get it, is there another product I can put on my supers while I still have a honey harvest building to take off soon?

I bought 2 pkgs. of Italians in May, and have already done one split and moved it into a 10 frame hive box yesterday and put a super on it. I saw evidence of mites and did a sugar shake, and have the sticky board in now.

I have two strong hives up on the hill behind the "nucky" girls. I know they also have mites, and I have 3 supers on Hive #1, and only 2 on #2 & 1 on the newbie #3. I will be harvesting in a couple of weeks from #1 and let the others build up food for the winter. Can I use Mite Away strips while I have honey to harvest? I was told not to do the powdered sugar shake while honey is in the supers as it will crystalize????? Help? I want to get on top of this soon. I have not noticed dead bees out front and they seem very healthy....though just this week I have noticed some of the symptoms9tottering around, slow take off) of mites that alerted me :O

Thank you SO MUCH!!!

Mite away is OK. It's formic acid, which will get into your honey, but slowly evaporate out again.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I ordered the Freeman oil trays for my Country Rubes SBB bottoms and will install next week and monitor . I might try the Georgabees traps that use Check Mite Plus and his bait, but at nearly $90 for the whole set up (10 traps) it is pricy. Hopefully the girls will maintain control as I want to minimize chemicals.
    Thanks for all of the great inputs.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

I just put in week 2 today. Unfortunately I'm out of town for 10 days so week 3 is a little delayed. Seems to be going ok so far except anyone else's bees go ape when you put the strips in? Mine really seem to not like the initial install and I thought for sure I was going to get stung the first time and this time I took one on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Seems to be going ok so far except anyone else's bees go ape when you put the strips in?
    They don't like it. It is one of the times I go ahead a 'glove up' before I even start.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

ok, good to know Dan, I was wearing gloves, just not long enough apparently. My arm doesn't look good, swelled up all the way to the elbow and up to my fingers. Not sure, but I felt the sting and it was no big deal, but since I had strips in my hand I had to wait a few seconds and I dunno if the bee drilled the stinger in more at that time but all of a sudden it hurt really bad and then she finally separated herself. I got a good pinch on the barb and pulled it out quick but definitely my worst reaction so far. Maybe she hit a vein or something.

If you squeezed the sac you injected more in. fwiw, I read recently that 80% of the venom is injected in the first 20 seconds. don';t know if that is fact, but the article was scholarly.
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

Thanks for the info buzz. I've always wondered how long it takes for the sac to empty. i always figured since it's so small not that long. Pretty sure I got a good nail pinch on the barb and not the sac to pull it out but I dunno, especially with wearing gloves.

since i started wearing nitrile gloves I've not had a bad reaction. if i get stung i just lift the glove and it pulls the sting out then smoke the site.
    Buzz Abbott
    USDA zone 11a, Western Garden zone 24 (75 ft elev. n34.0w118.47)

Yes, I would think gloves help in that regard, I just got caught right about where the glove ended though. Guess I need to reconsider what to wear when working the bees and protect myself a little better. Went 4 months w/o getting stung but took about 10 in a week now.

May I have some specific advice, please? Beemandan, you're in my area. Katharina, you use 8 frame. I'm on 8 frame deeps with one huge colony, one solid and one just getting into the second deep (it was a small swarm, I'm feeding it). All are screened top and bottom. Do I button up top and bottom to treat? Gets pretty hot here and the hives are in full sun all day (going to fix that later this year so they get some midday shade in summer). Katharina, do you use a full treatment (as suggested for 10 frame)?

Quote Originally Posted by brushwoodnursery View Post
    Do I button up top and bottom to treat?
    My understanding is that hopguard is a contact agent. No need to close up. I treat with full dose. It doesn't seem entirely benign, as advertised. At least not in our heat. I've seen some brood shutdown that appears related to the hopguard application...although it could also be a result of heat or dearth. Regardless, it came on immediately after the application.
    Good luck
    Dan
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Brushy I have some hives in 8 frame equipment and when I use Hopsgaurd I treat them like 10 frame hives. They all get one full treatment for three weeks in a row.

As far as buttoning up the hive? You may be confusing two different mite treatments. Hopsgaurd is a contact miticide it kills on contact so there is no need to button up the hive. Miteaway quick strips or Apigaurd are the miticides that require the screened bottom board to be closed during treatment. Miteaway and Apigaurd both kill by evaporating at a controled rate. The fumes is what kills the mites that why the hive has to be closed up. And they also have temperature requirements can't use them if the temp is too high or too low. You can google search each one and find the temp requirements. I don't want to try and quote them off the top of my head.

As far as I know Hopsgaurd does not have a temp requirement. Hope this helps

As always, I love this forum! Thanks to both for the reassurance I need. I will perform a solid treatment now and should have plenty left over for fall.
    BTW, made honey ice cream yesterday! Mmmm! Happy kids and grown-ups in the house.

Maine receives Section 18 Emergency Exemption for Hopguard

http://mainebeekeepers.org/news/hopg...tion-in-maine/
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

ARS National Program 305: Crop Production FY 2011 Annual Report
    Component 2: Bees and Pollination
    SUBCOMPONENT 2A: HONEY BEES [APIS]
    New product that controls bee mites with acids from hops. Varroa mite is the most
    important pest of honey bee colonies and causes major colony losses due to parasitism and
    transmitting viruses, many of which are associated with Colony Collapse Disorder.
    Beekeepers need new methods to control Varroa mites because currently registered products
    are either inconsistent in their effectiveness, harmful to brood, contaminate wax combs, or
    no longer control Varroa mites because the mite is resistant. Under a Cooperative Research
    and Development Agreement, ARS scientists in Tucson, Arizona, developed a product
    (commercialized as Hopguard
    TM
    by BetaTec Hop Products) that uses beta plant acids from
    hops to reduce varroa mite populations in colonies. A Section-18 emergency registration
    was issued by EPA and HopGuard
    TM
    is now in commercial production and being used in
    honey bee colonies.

Also; http://rd.springer.com/article/10.10.../fulltext.html
    This is a USDA study on Hopguard
    Last edited by julysun; 08-12-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

I treated with Hop Guard yeasterday - It is easy to work with but I recommend that you carry a rag or paper towel to wipe your gloves on.
    All four hives are 2 medium boxes - Hive 1 and 2 are heavy with bees - hives 3 and 4 are very light on bees.
    24 hour test before treatment;
    hive 1 = 13 mites on a 8.5 x 11 sheet
    hive 2 = 5
    hive 3 = 3
    hive 4 = 2

24 hours after treatment;
    Hive 1 = 360 mites on 8.5 x 11 sheet
    hive 2 = 26
    hive 3 = 42
    hive 4 = 22

cdevier; do you plan to repeat? I found that initial mite drop is good, then tapers off. Putting strips on again in a week jumps up the mite drop again but not as high as the first application. After three applications the counts seem to stay down. I think it has been discussed that the hopgard does not get the mites in capped brood.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast