Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: My Hopguard experience

KY, I hope you will post next year on the survival of the hive. I had a badly infested hive, got huge mite drops, etc. Hive was dead by spring. There were other factors, of course, but the mites were the nail in the coffin.
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
    KY, I hope you will post next year on the survival of the hive. I had a badly infested hive, got huge mite drops, etc. Hive was dead by spring. There were other factors, of course, but the mites were the nail in the coffin.
    I will definitely do that. Like I said I have more plans for keeping the hives healthier. This is my second year beekeeping so I still have much to learn. This site and others have been very helpful and I definitely want to keep expanding my 3 hive apiary.

How long do you wait between treatments? Or do you do one in Summer and another in Fall?
    Dave

3 rounds in spring and fall, and one round in summer if needed. I have not treated mine this spring, but split them all. I monitor for now. We do have a short season up here in the mountains, so I may be fine with that. They all will be treated in fall for sure.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

Quote Originally Posted by Keth Comollo View Post
    Thanks! I will see if he can get me some in bulk and run a test when my mite counts get high in July-August.
    Hop Guard is not approved for use in Vermont, at least according to the availability page on the Mann Lake web site.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

I meant getting the PIKE (kettle extract) from a brewmaster friend and running a few tests.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Quote Originally Posted by hummingberd View Post
    Why won't Maine allow the use of this product????
    Other Varroa control products have a Section 18 Emergency Use approval. The thought was since we (Maine Beekeepers) already had something approved, we didn't need another.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Just started using HopGuard.
    Question: How do you store the material that's not used completely? Refrigerate? Room temp?
    BTW, it is STICKY!
    Maybe some scientist will come up with a paste in a tube to put on top of frames?
    Dave

I put it in a ziplock bag and stored it in the fridge.

My final report from my Hopguard experience!!

Bees are doing great. There is a huge difference in the amount of dead bees outside my hives. I did a 24 hour sticky board count from my biggest hive and found a total of 5 mites. I use to have bees with DWV crawling all over outside my hives and I am seeing none now.

I will use it again if need be, but I have started integrating foundationless frames and have all SBB's now.

All in all I am happy with the results. Only bad part is my white bee jacket is now stained with the liquid from the Hopguard itself. It is a little messy to use and I don't recommend wiping your hands on your jacket unless you are infested with mites yourself .

Have not had the same results! After a 24 hour sticky board sample, still have about half the mites. I'll wait the 4 weeks recommended and do another treatment, unless someone tells me something different.
    Dave

Treat once per week for 3 weeks in a row. That is the only way you get the mites in the capped cells. One time treatments are just a tiny bit better then powdered sugar. A waste of good money on a product that isn't cheap.

Hopquard does stain things quite nicely. All my wooden frames have the wood stained. But it doesn't bother me. I do use cheap plastic gloves from Walmart's pharmacy section. They are easy to toss once they are all nasty. I don't have a bee suit either. Just old stained clothing, so another stain doesn't bother me a bit.

If you treat once a week for 3 weeks, is it necessary to always remove the previous strips? Why?
    Dave

I don't. Most likely they are gone anyway. I just put it on opposite frames, so it wont interfere if any are left. A strong hive will take the strips out in about 4-5 days. By then they are so dried up that they are basically useless. So yeah, you can take them out, but the bees will do it for you. You best bet is cleaning out the bottom boards, because that is where you will find the strips nicely fluffed up looking like brown cotton candy.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDave View Post
    I'll wait the 4 weeks recommended and do another treatment
    Dave, I've seen this type of comment quite a lot so just to fully explain for others reading the thread, the hopguard only kills mites not in brood cells. So, if you do a treatment, right after the treatment, new mites will be emerging with hatching brood. Something around 3 days later (this can vary a bit) they'll go back into brood cells to lay eggs and reproduce. So, if you delay the next treatment 4 weeks, you'll have heaps of mites breeding in the mean time.

Let's say, on average, a hopguard treatment remains active in the hive for 4 or 5 days. That means you MUST treat weekly for 3 weeks, to stop newly emerged mites having time to get back into brood cells and start reproducing again.

So, 3 week apart treatments, and the job should pretty much be done. But treatments further apart than that, you are unlikely to ever get on top of the mites.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Anyone ever get a reply from Hopsteiner sales about PIKE?

They said they have had many calls from beekeepers on buying the PIKE. Because the do not want to get in the middle of a patent infringment lawsuit they put out a memo to not sell it to any beekeepers. They said a few have purchased it before they stopped it. most of it is used in larger amounts like 2000lbs totes so when someone calls for pails it sends up a big red flag.

Wow, unbelievable.

I guess we now have to ask breweries to sell some of their stuff to us directly.

FBM (Fat Bee Man) uses a propane fogger with mineral oil. I would like to hear the groups comments on effectiveness. I am thinking of getting a fogger if it seems to work.
    Thanks in advance.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast