Hybrid View

Default My Hopguard experience

I thought it would be a good idea to document an experience with Hopguard for other people's future reference. I currently have a pretty bad mite and DWV problem in my 2 hives, details are here http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...med-Wing-Virus

I don't want to spark another treat vs. no treat debate, I just want to share the experience with others so they can choose their path if and when their time comes and I know that Hopguard is still fairly new to the fight against mites.

So here are my hives.

I received my Hopguard in the mail today from Mann Lake. From researching my plan is to put 2 strips per 10 frame deep once a week for 3 weeks. The Hopguard is a liquid with cardboard strips used to soak up the liquid and hang over the frames. From my 15 years of homebrewing I can tell you that it definitely smells just like Hops. I wasn't brave enough to taste it.

So I installed 2 strips in Hive 2 and 4 strips in Hive 1. Hive 1 was my first hive that I started from a package last year. I split the hive this year on April 4th into hive 2 letting them raise their own queen (and trying to break the mite cycle). I also made sticky boards and placed them under each hive which have screened bottom boards. Installing them was simple and the bees did not seem to mind them at all or run away from them.

Just out of curiosity I pulled the sticky board from beneath hive 2, 2.5 hours after I put in the strips and I didn't count, but there were easily 100 mites on the sticky board. Hive #1's sticky board is stapled underneath, so I didn't pull it. I checked the front of the hives before the sun went down and all appeared normal.

I'll keep you up to date as I go.

Default Re: My Hopguard experience

I checked the sticky board on hive 2 today it had been on for about 19 hours

Bigger picture here http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...-15-29_441.jpg

That is a lot of mites! I still haven't pulled the sticky board from hive 1 but I could see many more on it.

the bees still seem normal and there aren't anymore bees than I normally see dead in front of the hives.

i used 5 strips in 3 mediums. Had some serious mite drops and sharp decline in sticky board counts 95-99% decline. I treated in the late fall during a very low brood production time. It seemed very effective. it may not be as effective during the spring time as most mites will remain under cappings. I think a research paper said about 90% are under cappings at any one time. Thanks for posting this

48 hour mite count...

I didn't count every mite, but there were over 100 in the first row, times 9 rows, so my estimate is between 900-1000 mites per sticky board. I am very interested to see what happens when I do the week number 2 treatment. The bees still seem normal.

On a side note I removed my very first honey super from the hive, crushed and strained it and it turned out beautiful!! Now I know why I got into this beekeeping stuff

Your mite drop will be less and less with each week. Don't forget to repeat in fall. I love Hopguard. It is easy to use and does not smell horrible. Here is a crazy part I've noticed. The bees seem to like the stuff, because with each week they seem to rush to it more and more. I have to be careful not to crush any bees underneath the strip on top of the frames. Alternate your application sites each time you add strips. Don't forget to clean your bottom board, because there will be a lot of fluff from them dismantling the strips.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

@Katharina

I read your article on Hopguard before I decided to use it. Excellent information in there.

I see I can't purchase Hopguard in NC, where can I get it, is there another product I can put on my supers while I still have a honey harvest building to take off soon?

I bought 2 pkgs. of Italians in May, and have already done one split and moved it into a 10 frame hive box yesterday and put a super on it. I saw evidence of mites and did a sugar shake, and have the sticky board in now.

I have two strong hives up on the hill behind the "nucky" girls. I know they also have mites, and I have 3 supers on Hive #1, and only 2 on #2 & 1 on the newbie #3. I will be harvesting in a couple of weeks from #1 and let the others build up food for the winter. Can I use Mite Away strips while I have honey to harvest? I was told not to do the powdered sugar shake while honey is in the supers as it will crystalize????? Help? I want to get on top of this soon. I have not noticed dead bees out front and they seem very healthy....though just this week I have noticed some of the symptoms9tottering around, slow take off) of mites that alerted me :O

Thank you SO MUCH!!!