Default Hive Beetles - Destroyed home after Exterminator Sprayed.

Okay, that was a teaser tagline. It hasn't happened yet, but I think it might be. Anyway, we have a guy here spraying and telling homeowners not to worry about the honey as "robber bees" would take care of it.

I just pulled 5 gallons of honeycomb (not including the brood comb) out of person's ceiling, and that wasn't even all of the honey. It took my 8 hives almost 3 days to clean it up after I spread it on screen obove a tarp. I can't imagine that the robber bees of hives in the area would have gotten it cleaned up after they fought through the tiny crack in the siding. At least not before the hive beetles had slimed it all.

What do you think? Are there any pics / stories of hive beetles taking over a hive that was sprayed or dusted?

Rob
    www.mongrelbees.com
    www.basga.org

Default Re: Hive Beetles - Destroyed home after Exterminator Sprayed.

I am curious how you knew the honey wasn't sprayed as well? How were the nurse bees/queen killed without poisoning the combs ?

I talked with the homeowner before. The hive had never been sprayed. They got a bid on the job with this other guy, but didn't feel like it was a good solution for the problem, and called me for a 2nd opinion. I did a live extraction - cut comb in split frames and bee vac.

ah, sorry misunderstood