Thread: Food plot?

Default Food plot?

I was viviting a local sporting goods store and noticed a bunch of turkey and deer food plot mixture seeds at a great deal. I hunt both and have several acres I could plant . I am curious to know how beneficial it would also be as a bee food plot..It has 5 or 6 different clovers, rhye grasses, oats, etc..

Default Re: Food plot?

Some clovers are a good nectar source while others are not. Odds are there should be one or two in the mix.

Tom

Over seed it with some hairy vetch. It's a good bee plant and it will climb the stalks of grass/grain to get sun and bloom. Some other bloomers don't do as well in non grazed grasses as the grasses get too tall and thick and block out sun to the lower growing weeds and flowers. Also, clovers can cause bloat, vetch is one that does not as much.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Thanks guys.I have about 50 acres + or - . I was going to put out some for fall plots for deer but I thought if it was beneficial I would put an extra crop around the bees.