Default Uniting two colonies

I had a split, whose queen got lost in the mating flight. They were frantically building queen caps, which wouldn’t get filled. I united them with a successful split (newspaper method, well, brown paper, don’t like the idea of bees chewing up ink). In 24 hours I went to check on them, they ate holes in the paper and when I took some frames out from the bottom deep, I saw my queen being balled!
    By the time I ran into the garage to get a cage, they killed her.

I have another split I can unite them with and would prefer to do so to minimize the number of hives, but what if they’ll ball this queen as well? Did I do something wrong?

Default Re: Uniting two colonies

Try a double layer of newspaper; or, using a double screen, place the colony onto of the other one, let them be for 2-3 day and then remove the screen and put a sheet of newspaper in its place.

Is a double screen a specific piece of bee keeping equipment or simply window screening material? Mark

Is it possible they had a queen?

If they were queenless for a few hours and no drone laying worker they should have accepted her with open arms.

Try a frame with some new eggs and watch to see what happens. They will make queen cells with the new eggs if they need a queen.

A split needs a month the raise a new queen and for her to mate and start laying.

They were definitely queenless for two days. Their queen was marked, and the split was small- three frames, easy to check.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 06-01-2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: UNQuote

That is a great idea, a double screen! And it will help with the ventilation too, it's pretty hot outside. I will do that! Thank you!

They now have eggs to make a new queen it they need one. Wait and see if they draw queen cells. I'm betting they still have a queen.