Hybrid View

Default For the beekeepers in the south east - What are you planting this summer and fall?

Dear Friends,

Can you please tell me what your planting this summer or fall for the bees? I planted some wildflowers, buckwheat and clover this spring and wanted to see if there were other things I could plant now or fall for the girls. The buckwheat has done all it is going to do.

Default Re: For the beekeepers in the south east - What are you planting this summer and fall

Here are some ideas and links from a SC beekeeper.
    http://www.pickenscountyscbeekeepers.com/beeplants.html
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Default Re: For the beekeepers in the south east - What are you planting this summer and fall

i sowed about an acre of a supposed "honeybee" wildflower mix last spring, about 10 lbs @ $25/lb.

every pollinater except the honeybee seems to be working them.

most of the wildflowers and the nectar bearing trees have played out here, but i see my bees working dutch clover anywhere they find it.

i am going to resow the wildflower plot and seed in dutch clover everywhere i can for next year.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I just planted another crop of Buckwheat ... it's a good nectar producer, but only blooms for so long, so you have to re-plant to sustain the flow
    Also, the cotton generally blooms later in the year here, so you could maybe plant some cotton (or sesame) for a later nectar flow to give your bees some extra stores closer to winter

Ditto on the white (dutch) clover. I haven't planted any myself, but I'm seriously considering planting some next winter/spring. I hear it takes two years to mature to the point where bees can use it though.

Michael,
    If the buckwheat has flowered and seeded, after the seeds have matured you can mow (bush-hog) and lightly disc to get another...and another...crop. I have always made three crops per season if I planted early enough and had moisture enough in summer.

I have planted more borage. The 3 plants that I had last year self-seeded and are now 14. I have planted some chicory - although it won't bloom until next year. Just trying to establish something to fill in the summer gaps.

CC

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenChaser View Post
    I have planted some chicory - although it won't bloom until next year. CC
    Hey CC,

Do your bees work the chicory? There is a lot of chicory growing in our area, but I have never seen a bee on it.

Shane

Thank you all. I went out last night and plowed the buckwheat under and then went ahead and sowed a few more pounds over the top of it. I have new good sized spot I sowed as well. I planted a good bit of wild flowers in patches here and there but have yet to see any of my bees on them. I got a feeling these wild flowers are just not what the bees really like. Of course we have a huge amount of dandelions blooming as well. I have seen a few bees working them but not as much as I expected. I got a feeling they have found something much better that I am not seeing. Of course all our hives are new(were NUCs) so we are feeding in small amounts to make sure it does not get rank in the feeders.

Quote Originally Posted by tsmullins View Post
    Hey CC,

Do your bees work the chicory? There is a lot of chicory growing in our area, but I have never seen a bee on it.

Shane
    Shane,

This is my first attempt at chicory. What I have planted so far is just a test strip on the edge of my garden. The seed are two years old and I mainly wanted to verify they would germinate. I think every one came up - I'll be sowing this fall and hoping for blooms next summer.

Sorry to be long on replying - computer was being "flushed"...

CC