Default 2014 Winter Queen

55 and sunny today 40 miles SE of Seatle so I opened the hive for a peek. I over wintered a very strong hive in 2 deep and a supper. Opened the cover and the hive was packed full of dark little bees. The supper was full of honey. I did not see a single drone. Took off the top deep and ripped out some crazy drone comb on the bottom. Started looking through the top deep frames and spotted capped and larvae brood. On the 4th frame inspection at my first look at the frame there she was. How can a bug be so beautiful? I stopped right there and gently put everything back together.
    I think my Italian hive that dwindled moved in with the strong Carniolan hive. I saw many light colored bees in with the dark ones. The foragers have been working hard and returning pollen laiden. It must all be down in the bottem deep that I didnt dig into. The early weather has pushed them across the strart line. This maybe a good hive to split in a few weeks with all the brood I saw the hive will be prime for swarm.
    Feb22-2015-Queen3x.jpg
    Dro-Comx.jpg
    Work-Broodx.jpg
    Elev 407 ft 47.39 N, 122.15 W

Default Re: 2014 Winter Queen

She is a beauty! Good looking pics. It's been so cold here in Maryland, I dare not pull frames to get a good idea what I have.

Very nice shiny black queen.
    Is she a carni queen and where did you find her?
    I luv bee source!

The Savvy Bee, Pacific, Washington in the Spring of 2014. I purchased one Carniolan and one Italian. I was hoping someone with more experience could tell from the photos if the Italians had moved in with the Carniolans. I can clearly see dark bees and golden bees in the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    Very nice shiny black queen.
    Is she a carni queen and where did you find her?
    Elev 407 ft 47.39 N, 122.15 W

Quote Originally Posted by beepeep View Post
    The Savvy Bee, Pacific, Washington in the Spring of 2014. I purchased one Carniolan and one Italian. I was hoping someone with more experience could tell from the photos if the Italians had moved in with the Carniolans. I can clearly see dark bees and golden bees in the photo.
    Depends on what she mated with, probably a mix of drones. So the babies made with Italian bee sperm will be lighter.

"I think my Italian hive that dwindled moved in with the strong Carniolan hive."

Yes, in a typical winter hive this is what happened. Their primary focus is winter survival more than anything else until the next Spring. So I wouldn't be surprised if they had drifted to the carni hive. Then again looking at the 2nd pic there are some yellow banded bees with the carni color influence too. That might bee that the Italian hive got the carni influence at 70-80% from looking at the color bands on the Italian workers. This is what happened when the mating yard is at close proximity or the virgin queen going to the DCA for mating have both the carnis and the Italians drones there. My set up is a bit different from yours just the opposite. More Italians color with 10-20% carnis influence. They are the darker Italian color though. But still good at the 80% level for the Italians genetics. Keepers would argue don't judge a bee by its color. What else can we go by if there is no genetic testing, right. Are you able to see any new hatching bees in the carni hive with the Italians marking?
    I luv bee source!