Default Which pollen trap do you prefer and why

The title says it all.

I have never collected pollen but with around 40 hives I considering trying it this year.

Top, bottom, Sundance or other. There even is a plastic version for about $20.

Which bothers the bees least, collects the most pollen and is easy to use?

Side opening would be difficult for me due to hive placement.
    Thanks
    Last edited by WBVC; 02-25-2015 at 07:38 PM.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Default Re: Which pollen do you prefer and why

I like Elm pollen, not because it's easy to collect, but because it is one of the first pollens to get collected and the bees bring it in by the truck load. It ensures good protein for the bees and their brood at one of the harshest times of the year with the severe temperature swings we get at this time of the year.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Beekeeping Facebook Page

Thanks...which trap do you prefer for collecting it?
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

I don't have any traps, I was going to try my hand at it this year. From what I've seen (if I remember right) the sundance is a bit sloppy so it lets 50% of the pollen through which is what I would want in case I couldn't make it back to the yard for a few days. I will probably build my own with#5 hardware cloth if I can find it in Colorado Springs. I was just speaking on the one really early massive pollen flow I get this time of year. Lots of allergies to it though so collecting it has been on my agenda for a few years now. I'm interested in what others have to say also
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Beekeeping Facebook Page

> From what I've seen (if I remember right) the sundance is a bit sloppy so it lets 50% of the pollen through which is what I would want in case I couldn't make it back to the yard for a few days.

What you describe as "a bit sloppy" is the design criteria...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I really like the Sundance bottom traps. They produce a very clean pollen and are easy to access. I have the ones with the rear drawer, so I can walk through the yard quickly and pull out drawers of pollen without disturbing the bees. They have two types of on/off mechanisms. I prefer the sliding front with the eye-bolt for holding it in place to the reversible T-bar.