Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

First swarm trap catch

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  wheeler88 
#1 ·
Yesterday I noticed there was a swarm in a trap I set up about 3 weeks ago. This is my first time using swarm traps, I don't know how long they have been in it but I noticed they are bringing in pollen. Just thought I'd share a couple pics:

Birdhouse Bird feeder Tree Birdhouse Trunk

Birdhouse Tree Trunk Bird feeder Wood

Vegetation Nature reserve Nature Jungle Natural environment

See less See more
#7 ·
Can I hijack this thread for a moment?

I placed a bait hive out on a property of a farmer I know the other day.

Is this setup any more-or-less dangerous than anything else?

Someone suggested I would have problems getting it down if a swarm took up residence. He suggested a pulley system to get it down. I'm not denying that may be the case - but aren't most other bait hives about this high in a tree and need ladders to retrieve without pulley systems?

#10 ·
What I do is strap, tape everything!!!!!! Prepare for the worst. Full bee suit or whatever you wear for an angry hive. The bees are not very forgiving in an accident situation. Better to have and not need, then to need and not have. Saved my hiney more than once.:)
Have fun!

#12 ·
Just tie down straps. Across the top front and back to secure the top. Rachet or what ever. I'll run electricians tape sometimes. I tape the screen edges over the entrance if it looks flimsy,,and, I'll staple the ends of the tape to make sure nothing come loose. An un even top can be no fun. Check to be sure. Swarm boxes are usually cobbled and after sitting a while, they warp. Just saying:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.