Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Upper Hive enterance

Quote Originally Posted by RiodeLobo View Post
    Any major issues with bur comb? I am thinking of putting one of these entrances between the brood chambers. (trying to get the advantages of both top and bottom entrances).
    I've noticed a lot of people seem overly concerned (IMO) with maintaining the "perfect hive" as I like to call it. To each their own, but a little burr comb is no issue with me, and although I didn't notice much last year I will monitor again this year. Nothing I would note as a major issue, although that is subjective depending on who you talk to. I also run my mediums at 7 1/4" deep versus the standard depth 6 5/8" of mediums, causing a violation of bees space between the top-bottom of frames. My reasons are simple:

#1. Its easier - less cutting of wood as I make my own boxes (only one cut using 1x8 boards)
    #2. A little extra comb is a good thing - I use beeswax for a lot of different applications
    Jim Andersen
    Desert Viking Ranch

gmcharlie- The posting of pics is a real pain and confusing. I tried over and over and finally it worked for me. How,??? I have no idea. Try posting it as an atachment to your posting instead of an image to be uploaded. And once it's there I couldn't change or delete the image, so make sure that you choose your image wisely. Good luck!! juzzerbee
    Last edited by juzzerbee; 05-30-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Viking Ranch View Post
    I've noticed a lot of people seem overly concerned (IMO) with maintaining the "perfect hive" as I like to call it. To each their own, but a little burr comb is no issue with me, and although I didn't notice much last year I will monitor again this year.
    You have not seen my hives obviously. I think I will add the entrances this weekend. Thanks for the info.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

well trying again

Question since you seem to have been using the upper entrances for a number of years. When you hear that bees generally move up is there an issue of the queen staying in the one or two brood boxes or do they become unused. I assume when installing a package, one would start with a bottom enterance in a single brood box and expand as needed. Is the point of going to a upper enterance done when the first super is added? If so, without a queen excluder, how the the two bottom brood boxes fair?? Thanks for all the imput from everyone, it's good to get comments from so many beekeepers who have tried different approaches to this question. Kilnrat