Thumbs Up Accidental swarm trap.

I got home from work today around 330pm. I did my usual walk down the side of the house past my hives to look
    at the activity that's going on. When I looked at what was supposed to be an empty nuc size hive, I noticed a couple
    of bees fly out of it. I kept watching. A couple more, then a couple flew in. There's nothing in there to rob.
    Just a totally empty comb that I put in there that's mostly drone comb. Anyway, I kept watching, then decided
    to go get my veil, shirt, and gloves on to see what was going on.
    I found a small swarm in there with a couple teeny combs of their own started, and not a bad, young looking queen.
    There wasn't any activity there yesterday so, I guess they moved in today. There was a big swarm land down the
    street from me a couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking this is a cast or after swarm from the hive that threw the big
    one a couple of weeks ago. I'll take it. I sure would like to find the parent hive these came from.
    I think it's an abandoned building just a few blocks away from me. I'm gonna go look around tomorrow.

Default Re: Accidental swarm trap.

Good catch Steven!!! I'm not sure about your area, but the flow's about over here in south Alabama. Are you going to feed'em? It'll be interesting to hear what you find out about the mother colony.

Ed

Default Re: Accidental swarm trap.

UPDATE.
    I found out where the swarms in my neighborhood are coming from. It is in the old building that I was thinking of.
    From the amount of bees still all spread out on the entrance, there might be more swarms waiting to go.
    I think it's a huge hive inside there. They're not agressive. I was standing in their flight path about 8ft. from the
    entrance, and no one paid me any mind. They just flew around me and kept on going.
    Now I have to find out who owns this building so I can get permission to go in for a look.
    Last edited by Steven Ogborn; 05-26-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Had no R in entrance (spelling)