Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Big Bad Bear Fencing

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post

But ,on the plus side, for a few years , bears did bring in a bit of extra cash with my bear hunting guide service!
    Ok, sit on this rock and when the bear comes over the hill shoot him, try not to hit the white boxes.

Mike tomorrow 10 am look west and wave.

Steelhead fishing?
    Lucky dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Just curious. My buddy who is an electronics geek for a job, can make something that would send an alert, text or email, if a hive was opened. I'm wondering whether to tell him to make some & put them on the market. If such a device was available for say, $150 - $200, to be used on one hive in a bear prone yard, would anyone be interested in such a device?
    I wouldn't be - not because it isn't a cool idea, but because once the bear's in the hive, the damage is already done.
    I think the couple hundred bucks cost would serve me better buying lumber at that point.

OK, thanks. I know nothing about bears, just throwing the idea out there. Should have mentioned also that my buddy said that for very small money, transmitter units could be put in other hives that would send to the main unit, which would be the one that sends a message to the hive owner. That would be of use if bears come and damage some hives, then come back later & damage some more. But I don't know if bears do that.

Only thing I do know about bears, is that to someone from my country where a person can walk the bush in the knowledge it is unlikely you will run into anything that will eat you, it seems amazing that in the US you walk in some areas in the full knowledge that you might cross paths with something HUGE that could easily make a meal of you.

A while back, someone on Beesource posted some pics of a bear he had taken from his bee yard. There was nothing between him and the bear. I found the pictures terrifying!
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Black bears -- the kind most folks have in the States -- are usually more concerned with getting away from people than hurting them.
    That doesn't stop them looking for a treat in the trash when they think they won't run into a person, though.

It's said that if a bear gets into your hives once, it'll come back and cause damage again.

Earlier in the year I had a bear get into one of my yards and it destroyed some colonies and equipment. Before I could move the remainder, it came back and destroyed another a few days later.

After I moved the yard next to a an active, working barn and put up a good electric fence, I've had no problems in the past couple of months since.

I don't know if it is the fence, the bacon bait, or proximity to the barn that made the difference or just that the bears have had other thinks they like better available, as there is sign that several have been active I the berry brambles and such.

I think your friend might find a market using this for theft recovery.
    There's a yard I'd like to use when we have a dearth, but don't as I am concerned about security.

An alarm that also would help locate the hives if taken would be useful to me in recovering them if they were taken, provided it was cost effectively priced

So, we moved thru the month of august, bought a 2 acre plot on the 1st, and moved the bees in last weekend. They weren't real happy after the 200km drive, but, settled down nicely after a day. The new place has bears in the area, so, I had to do something about it. I put up a fence, and I'm curious what folks more experienced with bears and bees think about this setup. In my younger days, I had a fair amount of experience with bears, but it was limited to skinning and tanning.

I used an electric net style fence, so its somewhat bigger than we needed, fence comes in 50 meter lengths (164 feet). This is a semi-temporary setup, for this winter. Front acre is all manicured landscaping, but the back acre (you can see thru the walkway top right of the photo) is fully overgrown. The net fence is a stopgap until we clear and level the back acre, and fence properly. I learned a few things along the way, most important is, when putting the net up on somewhat uneven ground, the bottom strand ends up in the grass at points. I clipped the bottom strand so it's not powered anymore, that effectively doubled the shock value of the other strands. At first I was disappointed, there wasn't much shock coming off the wires, I could easily hold on to them, and it didn't bother me much. Then I tried it without the rubber boots, whole different story, very effective. I'm not at all worried about poor grounding, rainy season is imminent, and the ground is always wet. Not possible for a critter to walk up to the fence, and not be in contact with a damp/wet ground. We had enough rain over the last few days, ground is already a bit soggy, and it's not going to dry out till June.

We have been in the new place for 3 weeks now, I haven't seen any sign of bears in the back yet, but neighbors have told me they were here a lot a couple years ago. I did see a rather large cougar walk thru the back trail Sunday morning, and we have no shortage of deer walking around.

We've got 6 hives and 4 nucs in the fence today, but since we have moved to a spot that's great for bees, we are going to expand somewhat, and turn the bees into a revenue source. For now, my concern is keeping them alive till the spring, and dealing with a potential visit from yogi, is what this is all about. What do you folks with a little more experience in this area think of the setup in the photo ?

I think your fence will be effective if you bait it.

As it is, I suspect you might shock the snot out of a bear, but have him inside before he's got time to stop.

Then he'll just be a p*$$ed bear with nothing to take it out on but those white boxes.

On the other hand, if he comes in attracted by something yummy smelling on the wire, and sniffs/ licks it and gets a good jolt to the tender parts, he'll learn that the yummy smell = OUCH! and avoid areas that smell that way.

I think baiting is important

Then should someone bait with something smelling of beehive. Aversion therapy.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Our bear showed up again on Tuesday and got in the garage and ate some of our cat food. Then on Wednesday it climbed on our neighbors Jeep, bit the soft top trying to get to some dog food. Today MDC brought a Bear trap and set it up 50' from my home bee yard. He walked up to someone sleeping on a ha-mick last week. So they are going to trap it and relocate it. I hope the link works.
    http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/jj...g.html?filters[user]=137369574&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

This link should work of the bear trap.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3df379be.jpg

RE: bait-

Apparently cat food smell works.
    Though using bacon on a wire at about bear nose height is more traditional.
    Some cans of tinned fish pierced top and bottom and thread the wire through it.
    But bacon (tir tinfoil smeared with peanut butter) wrapped on the wire is less hassle and works.

There was a time here when the State live trapped problem bears and relocated them. Guess whose beeyards they dumped them near?

There was a time here when the State live trapped problem bears and relocated them. Guess whose beeyards they dumped them near?
    How did you figure that one out?

A guy that lived near one of my yards called me up and told me he saw them drive by AGAIN with the 'bear trap trailer'. The next night the bear was on his porch. I couldn't keep these bears out with any electric fence. They had no fear of people at all. Park bears we called them. I think there came a point when the gov realized they were just transferring someones problem onto someone else and stopped doing it.

So where do you think Hoot Owls problem bear will end up?

I thought they moved all the bad bears from the western foothills to the eastern sierra. Inyo county. I used the fence like alpha6 on post #32. But I put the charger in the middle of the yard to deter stupid thiefs. Never had one fail.

I doubt there was just one place they dumped problem bears. Fred Ryan told me many years ago about having bears dumped next to a yard in Lassen county. 5 (I think he said) disoriented bears running up and down the road.

I had a new battery and charger stolen this summer. I can live with that, though I hate a thief worse than almost anything, but the damage from a bear in the yard would have been hard to stomach. Got lucky on that one .If it happens again, guess i will have to start putting up game cameras.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234