Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Big Bad Bear Fencing

I had bears tear up my hives, then installed an electric fence. They tried again, and even knocked the fence down, but did not get through. 9000 volts and bacon hung on it has kept them away. I have bears all over. Good luck.

BTW...fresh bacon means they try to eat it and get the shock in their mouth!!!

Jim

Yes , by all means put something on the fence to prevent 'walk throughs'. Cheap fishy canned cat food wrapped in aluminum foil then wrapped around hot wires here and there works as well as anything. You want them to stop and sniff before walking right through your fence.

Okay. Need electric fencing since a black bear knocked over a hive last night. The dog usually is enough, but not this time, altho the dog most likely kept the bear from going any further, no damage done, just supers on the ground that I had to re-stack last night. Saw the queen this morning. But I know the bear motto is: I'LL BE BACK. (in Arnie voice)

So. Something quick, easy, cheap, preferably portable because it sounds easier, I mean if a backpacker can set it up, I should be able to.

Brand names? Prices?

No grizzlies around here, just black bears. Just 2 hives at this point, but hopefully will expand to around 4, so not huge.

Are ya'll using solar chargers to keep the batteries going. A decent solar charger and a sealed deep cycle battery works well here on the Texas Coast on some long cattle fences. The fences are in use for about 7-8 months (fall, winter, spring) and the batteries last for 2 or 3 years. That Sta-Fix (18 joules) bugger hurts like heck through lacrosse rubber boots if you have sweaty feet and stepping the fence down to cross with ATV.

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    It sucks when a charger fails between visits to the yard!
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...g?t=1241947172
    I agree. Getting hit sucks. I was on vacation and got hit several times. I fixed the fence and he went right through it since he knows whats on the other side. I baited the fence with Peanut butter and we found 3 piles of poop the next day. It has been 4 days and no more hits. Should I be baiting the peanut butter weekly. What I am afraid of is another bear showing up. I dont think they talk to each other so one is not going to warn the other. Should I be usuing a larger Joule rating. My fences are .4. Will an 8-16 really help or just piss off the bear.

Ouch! Hate to see that, but have seen LOTS of bear damage over the years.

You can bait each time you go to the yard. I tend to get lax about it (not good policy) and do it when I think about it.

I have a variety of chargers and right now am liking the Parmak 12v charger. It has a good output but seems easy on battery life. I like to see voltage in the upper range of my tester, but having been accidentally zapped by all of them ,I cannot tell the difference between 5000 and 10,000 volts! The Patriot chargers throw the biggest sparks, but run the batteries down much quicker.

Get a couple of these and carry around with you. http://www.mannlakeltd.com/mm5/merch...critter+gitter

I have been able to keep bears out that were destroying hives by using these till the fence could be repaired or chargers replaced. Radios will work for a few nights, but the bears will get used to them quickly(then knock them flying) .Haven t had that happen yet with the critter gitters .

---Mike

The folks I know said the higher the joules, the more of a charge the charger hits whatever is grounding it (bear or cattle). I know those chargers with impedance chargers hurt more each hit.

But on the bad said, I have seen when those bulls have gals or dominance on their minds, those fences don't stop them. Also know folks that worked with predator excluder fences have seen foxes sitting outside the fence until the courage was worked up and they dived at a 7 strand electric fence and wiggled through. They typically got hit 2 or 3 times before they got through, but what was on the other side was worth it I guess.

What about noise making trip wires just around the outside as well as the bait lures to just cause a bear to pause. Know some folks that lived and fished alot in Alaska that used this to help guard camp sites.

Get a couple of these and carry around with you. http://www.mannlakeltd.com/mm5/merch...critter+gitter
    59 bucks for 50 ft coverage would mean 4-5 or of them in my big yard.

True, they are pricey. But whats a hive worth?
    I dont fence off such a large area, but I find most of the time I can figure out where the bear is coming from and his m.o. for working the fence.A well used trail , then coming through the fence in the same place. Aim the critter gitter right there.Anyway, they are just a stopgap till you get the fence functioning enough to do the job. If that doesn't work you will have a couple more options.

Mainly , you leave or the bear does!

Mainly , you leave or the bear does!
    I am told there are 4 bears and a few cubs in the area which I find suspect because they chase out other bears. I am going to bait the fence regularly and put up a cam to check.

Good luck with the bear problem. I am seeing a lot of activity right now around my yards as the bears are trying to get some weight on before winter. One yard is being checked out by a sow with a small cub. If the cub gets in, mama will not be far behind.

After the fence is up go to the grocery store and buy one or two cans of sardines in the meatl can. Punch a hole through the can and run a wire through it. Hand the can off the elelctric wire, A bear will back up to fence and use his rean end to knock it down but he will smell the sardines and will take a bite of them, getting a shock right in the tender part of his mouth. End of bear problem.

Just curious. My buddy who is an electronics geek for a job, can make something that would send an alert, text or email, if a hive was opened. I'm wondering whether to tell him to make some & put them on the market. If such a device was available for say, $150 - $200, to be used on one hive in a bear prone yard, would anyone be interested in such a device?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

> My buddy who is an electronics geek for a job, can make something that would send an alert, text or email, if a hive was opened.

Aside from the initial purchase cost, if it uses the cell phone network, presumably there would be monthly charges for each device. If it doesn't use the cell phone network, how would it communicate alerts?
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

Yes there would have to be a data plan, or an 802.11 wireless broadcasting system. However he and I have talked a bit about it there are a number of options, but straight up, all this electronics stuff is way out of my understanding so not quite sure how it all works but just about anything can be done. (with enough $$$'s )

We discussed it here cos we don't have bears, but hive theft is a potential issue. But it could have application for bears.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

"would anyone be interested in such a device?"

It wouldn't work for me, as there is no way to know which hives will be hit. In a yard of say 60 hives, a bear could destroy a lot of hives before finding the one with the device. Also, there is no cell coverage in some of my 'outback' yards.It might work out for someone who has smaller yards where the odds are more favorable for triggering the device.

An electric fence with 'bait' on the wires is still the best protection. But new ideas are always welcome.

I had a bear on my back porch yesterday and it walked right past a chunk of comb set out for the bees to clean. I do have electric fence around my hive's and it is very hot. It took 4 shots over it's head before it took off. Next time maby some rock salt a little closer in.

I had a bear get in a yard last year and all he wanted was the feeder jugs. He would take one and leave the yard, leaving a trail of syrup out into the woods.

Another time a bear got in and clawed a bunch of lids off, eating the grease patty that was under each lid.

And one time I had a long row of hives that were very close to each other, A bear walked down the line, leaving muddy paw prints on the lids.

In none of these instances did the bear destroy the combs.But they left me shaking my head.

loggermike - You had better keep that shamrock patch you have hidden in real healthy condition, because it sounds like you had more than your share of luck with bears.

I wont mention all the bad experiences my bees have had with bears over the years. Seen lots like Eastsides.

But ,on the plus side, for a few years , bears did bring in a bit of extra cash with my bear hunting guide service!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast