Default June honey comb and wax moths

I'm in Ct. and have a nice frame of capped honey comb I want to pull. Is it best to be safe and freeze the comb before packaging or is it early enough in the season that wax moths / eggs are not an issue?

Default Re: June honey comb and wax moths

It is always a good idea to freeze your combs for 24 hours before packaging. I ask you, what can it hurt to do the freezing first?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy'sBees View Post
    It is always a good idea to freeze your combs for 24 hours before packaging. I ask you, what can it hurt to do the freezing first?
    You're right probably a good idea just to be safe.

Will freezing honey damage the bacteria in it like heating it does? Would this make it technically no long raw honey? That's my only concern. I know the industry has some strict rules on how you can and cannot label honey to sell it. My goal is to sell 100% organic and unprocessed honey. I'd like to be able to just cut out a comb, toss it in a jar and seal it up. This is great too because I'm lazy and don't want to have to deal with an extractor or crushing/draining the comb.

So again, does freezing the honey have an effect on the good bacteria in raw honey like heating it would?
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

I doubt it would Tom, it depends on the stage of the bacteria. I would imagine most of it is in sporulated form as active bacteria in your honey would degrade it over time. Cold shouldn't denature enzymes destructively either.