Thread: Small colony

Default Small colony

Hi All-
    I have a new, small colony that was a swarm, with a queen that was taken out of a home.
    It is settling in (after swarming and then I re-introduced them to the hive), but truth be told, it is a pretty small group of girls.
    I worry that they will be compromised because of their size, but wonder about how I would put another swarm in with them.
    I have a friend who has a swarm, and ideally I would increase their numbers and size to make them heartier, but not sure how to do
    that without finding and eliminating a queen - something I am not crazy about doing.
    I tend to err on the side of letting things "bee", with my beekeeping practices - and wonder if letting them (the assumed multiple queens) fight it out would be an ok way to go. Or just crazy?
    Any thoughts?

Default Re: Small colony

Putting two swarms in the same box? Nothing I've ever heard of. Let this swarm grow. They won't get one whit bigger until the first crop of brood comes on-line no matter what their size is now.

Default Re: Small colony

Do what you like. I'd let them both grow on their own and see what happens. You may be surprised.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF