Thread: bear issue

Hybrid View

Default bear issue

My garden fence was messed up this winter. I have to replace a few posts and with the electric fence down a bear must have reached over and tried pulling the hive over.
    I didnt notice it was pulled and hanging a bit to the side(i had it ratched in place) until I got stung a couple of times. They were angry. I had to suit up and put the hive back together and they were angry.
    I could hardly see they were in my face. I put them back on and ratched the strap back down....but I have to get that fence fixed quick.
    I am thinking about moving the hive to my orchard which has a bit more fencing in place. Anyone have any suggestions for moving a hive? at night? early morning?
    Thanks.

Default Re: bear issue

Most people move them very early morning or night. Some load the truck at night then move them before the sun comes up in the morning.
    Dan

Thank you.

Moving a short distance will also piss them off. They come back to the location of the hive and find nothing and ...

well they came back and it looks like they just destroyed things to destroy it. I was able to save one hive box and its moved a bit away, but my battery for my electric fence died so they may have gotten that last box last night. very frustraiting

This is what I eventually had to do about bears. I find normal non-lethal voltage electric fences to be insufficient.